Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Sir Frederick Banting: Memorial Cross ($70,000 CDN)

Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Sir Frederick Banting: Memorial Cross ($70,000 CDN) Empty Sir Frederick Banting: Memorial Cross ($70,000 CDN)

Post by Battalion Colours Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:01 pm

Sir Frederick Banting was the discoverer of insulin and Canada's first Nobel Prize winner. In February 1941, Banting set out from Gander, Newfoundland, on an urgent flight to England to share research with scientists there. But his plane crashed and Banting was killed. By the time he died, Banting was Canada's best-known and perhaps best-loved scientist for co-discovering insulin and giving hope to millions of diabetics.

In 2003 Banting's Memorial Cross sold for $70,000 Cdn!!!

Sir Frederick Banting: Memorial Cross ($70,000 CDN) Mcgv-l10
    Bill
    Bill

Sir Frederick Banting: Memorial Cross ($70,000 CDN) Empty Re: Sir Frederick Banting: Memorial Cross ($70,000 CDN)

Post by Bill Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Banting's medals and Memorial Cross are one group of a handful that should be considered national heirlooms.
    I believe the Cross ended up in the hands of the Banting Museum?
    Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Sir Frederick Banting: Memorial Cross ($70,000 CDN) Empty Re: Sir Frederick Banting: Memorial Cross ($70,000 CDN)

Post by Battalion Colours Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:29 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fredrick_banting.jpg

Sir Frederick Banting

Sir Frederick Banting: Memorial Cross ($70,000 CDN) Fredrick_banting
    Seaforth Highlander
    Seaforth Highlander

Post by Seaforth Highlander Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:45 am

Our family has a number of connections to Sir Frederick Banting.
    1. My Grandmother's sister was dating him and my Grandmother told her not to go out with him.
    2. I have Sir Frederick Banting's wooden luggage tag with his signature on it from his suitcase on the fatal flight in Newfoundland. My Father was with Lincoln and Welland Regiment there and then was with Force W HQ as ADC to General Page. He visited the crash site and took this souvenir. I never saw it until after my Dad died though I had heard about it. We presumed it had been lost but it turned up when sorting things out.
    3. Interestingly on a Remembrance Day parade I spotted another highlander. I was wearing my Seaforth Glengarry and he his Black Watch one. As we chatted he mentioned his name was Banting. I asked if there was a connection and he said he was the son. Sadly he died shortly afterwards.

Colin Stevens

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 pm