Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Latest Saskatchewan BD tunic to a D Day unit!

GCR817
    GCR817

Latest Saskatchewan BD tunic to a D Day unit! Empty Latest Saskatchewan BD tunic to a D Day unit!

Post by GCR817 Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:31 pm

Another recent find to add to my Saskatchewan Battledress tunic. This one if to the 13th Field Regiment, RCA. The 13th was comprised of various Field Batteries which included the 44th Bty from Prince Albert, SK. This tunic is nicely named to and numbered with an L prefix denoting Sask. All the insignia is in canvas which is nice, too.

The 13th Field Regt was part of the 3rd Div and fought through D Day. On 6 June 44, they fired their 105mm self-propelled guns from the landing crafts on their way into the beach. At war's end, the 13th served as part of the CAOF in Germany (note the CAOF patches on the tunic).

I have no idea why someone wrote DF on each patch? Does anyone know what that might mean?

Geoff
    Latest Saskatchewan BD tunic to a D Day unit! 00113Latest Saskatchewan BD tunic to a D Day unit! 00212Latest Saskatchewan BD tunic to a D Day unit! 00312
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Latest Saskatchewan BD tunic to a D Day unit! Empty Re: Latest Saskatchewan BD tunic to a D Day unit!

Post by Infanteer Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Cool tunic! I contemplated picking that up when it was in the antique mall but I already have a nice 13 RCA tunic. I really like how the division insignia is made of a light weight material... very unique. I was wondering about the DF on the insignia as well.

As a side note, please be careful when dealing with Richard and make sure you are getting what you pay for....
    GCR817
    GCR817

Latest Saskatchewan BD tunic to a D Day unit! Empty Re: Latest Saskatchewan BD tunic to a D Day unit!

Post by GCR817 Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:19 pm

Infanteer wrote:Cool tunic! I contemplated picking that up when it was in the antique mall but I already have a nice 13 RCA tunic. I really like how the division insignia is made of a light weight material... very unique. I was wondering about the DF on the insignia as well.

As a side note, please be careful when dealing with Richard and make sure you are getting what you pay for....

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advice but I am way ahead of you. I saw Chris today and he has the eagle to show you.

Cheers,

Geoff
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:40 pm

Uh oh, Frasers buddy Richard again. He's a hoot that guy.

Looks like a good BD to me though. Congrats!

Rob

Post by Rob Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:54 pm

It's a very nice BD indeed.

However, just to be pedantic, it is actually from 2nd/13th Field Regiment, which was mobilized in June 1945. Units of the CAOF were organized around a reconstituted 3rd Division setup, made up from men who either volunteered or had a low point score for demob, and men were posted from any unit thay may have been serving with. So really there is not necessarily a direct link with the 13th Field Regiment that served with 3rd Division.

Rob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 pm