Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

Check your World War One medals

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Check your World War One medals Empty Check your World War One medals

Post by pylon1357 Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:56 am

Just thought I would share a little story here. As many of you know, my primary interest is Irish Regiment of Canada. I also have a fairly respectable collection of WWII Canadian metal insignia, cap badges, collar badges and metal titles.

I also have an odd awry of medals. Years ago I decided I wanted an example of each of the WWI medals. As we know these are named to the recipients, unlike WWII medals and stars, generally speaking.

I was prompted to go through my very small collection of WWI medals just see what I have, as none of these have been researched. I bought singles so I could have a nice example of these medals. Never gave much thought to the men behind them, until now.

I started my preliminary research a couple of them low and behold, here is what I have to date.

14-15 Star named to 42374 Gnr J Rycroft CAN FD ART well imagine my surprise when I find out he has post nominals DCM MM. More to follow as my research continues with this one.

Also of note is a single British War Medal named to 27227 H Clark W YORK R. well he was killed 15 July 1916. Again more to follow on this one too.

I guess what I am saying here, if you have a few named single medals, research them, could prove to be very interesting

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 am