Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

Canadian dog tags

SatansCabanaBoy
    SatansCabanaBoy

Canadian dog tags Empty Canadian dog tags

Post by SatansCabanaBoy Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:33 pm

Canadian dog tags Img_0010

Canadian dog tags Img_0110

Canadian dog tags Img_0011

Canadian dog tags Img_0213

A complete set I believe...
    Canadian dog tags Img_0214

Some from Korea and later just to compare...

Canadian dog tags Img_0012

Darrell
    Darrell

Canadian dog tags Empty Re: Canadian dog tags

Post by Darrell Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi SatansCabanaBoy

Nice collection.

Who's the Memorial Cross to?

regards
    Darrell

servicepub
    servicepub
    In Memoriam

Post by servicepub Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:49 pm

In addition to my modern CF tags I also have ID discs issued to me by the RCMP for my UN mission in Haiti as well as ID discs issued to me by DFAIT for my (cancelled) jaunt to Afghanistan. Both sets are actually struck by DND but use different information. Once my office is renovated and my scanner is re-installed I will post photos.
    Clive
    ptejoeydepalmer

Post by ptejoeydepalmer Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:28 pm

Where can you find replacement Canadian dog tags like they had back in the early 1980s?
    edstorey
    edstorey

Post by edstorey Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:06 am

A good start to finding what you are looking for might be using the correct terminology, in Canada they are called I.D. disks.
    Darrell
    Darrell

Post by Darrell Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:54 am

Hi ptejoeydepalmer

Try here:

https://www.mydogtag.com/gear/blank-tags/nato/canadian-forces

Also, a pertinent and concise article online that I see uses Clive's RCMP dogtags (above post)... and even a picture or two provided by Ed. Feeling helpful that day, were ya? Wink

Canadian dog tags A42406-pte-c-little-id-discs
    https://milart.blog/2014/01/18/identity-discs-in-the-canadian-army/

regards
    Darrell
    ptejoeydepalmer

Canadian dog tags Empty Military ID Card

Post by ptejoeydepalmer Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:31 pm

edstorey wrote:A good start to finding what you are looking for might be using the correct terminology, in Canada they are called I.D. disks.
    When I was in in the early 1980s, we called them Dog Tags. Only ones who called them I.D. Discks where the super soldiers.
    ptejoeydepalmer

Post by ptejoeydepalmer Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:37 pm

Thanks. Even though a good company, they only do the modern engraving. Which is great and everything, but no wheres as good as the older stamping.
    Darrell
    Darrell

Post by Darrell Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:19 am

Hi ptejoeydepalmer

Sorry that wasn't what you are after.

I wonder if you could get a blank then cast around for an Engraver service that could match the font and impression style you are after?

If you are not living in the middle of nowhere, probably a couple of services available such as larger Engraver shops or Jewelers. You may have to engage them directly with examples to see if they could do it tho'. Some are engraving only and lack the ability to stamp things. Impressing dog tags or things like Medals is a more "industrial" thing and most businesses lack the require machinery to impress items. Maybe NOT that little booth in the Mall!!  Wink  

I used to know a place in Nicosia that did a good job but in gold!! They probably don't get the business from Cdns that they used to.   Very Happy

When my first set was handed to me , my last name was mis-spelled, my blood group was wrong and I somehow became "Protestant". Took about 3 years to get another set and they only got my blood group wrong!! Over many years, I'd get errors on mine. SIN to Service number change and then allowances for more than 3-4 Religion choices required me to have about 7 sets laying around now.....many with errors.  duh

As for terminology, we also called them dog tags. Only the Superiors called them ID Discs (and they are most certainly NOT DISCS!!) and that was only when doing Troop/Sqn bug-out kit inspections. I did it myself as I went up in the ranks.  Use the formal name for formal requirements and soldier slang in all other instances. Rolling Eyes

I wonder what the real name for that little "Zap" number on my final set was? hmmm

regards
    Darrell
    ptejoeydepalmer

Post by ptejoeydepalmer Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:36 pm

Darrell wrote:Hi ptejoeydepalmer

Sorry that wasn't what you are after.

I wonder if you could get a blank then cast around for an Engraver service that could match the font and impression style you are after?

If you are not living in the middle of nowhere, probably a couple of services available such as larger Engraver shops or Jewelers. You may have to engage them directly with examples to see if they could do it tho'. Some are engraving only and lack the ability to stamp things. Impressing dog tags or things like Medals is a more "industrial" thing and most businesses lack the require machinery to impress items. Maybe NOT that little booth in the Mall!!  Wink  

I used to know a place in Nicosia that did a good job but in gold!! They probably don't get the business from Cdns that they used to.   Very Happy

When my first set was handed to me , my last name was mis-spelled, my blood group was wrong and I somehow became "Protestant". Took about 3 years to get another set and they only got my blood group wrong!! Over many years, I'd get errors on mine. SIN to Service number change and then allowances for more than 3-4 Religion choices required me to have about 7 sets laying around now.....many with errors.  duh

As for terminology, we also called them dog tags. Only the Superiors called them ID Discs (and they are most certainly NOT DISCS!!) and that was only when doing Troop/Sqn bug-out kit inspections. I did it myself as I went up in the ranks.  Use the formal name for formal requirements and soldier slang in all other instances. Rolling Eyes

I wonder what the real name for that little "Zap" number on my final set was? hmmm

regards
    Darrell

I was thinking the same thing. Find a machine shop who can stamp the tags by hand. it must be an east thing to call them ID disks because I have never heard of a westerner call them anything but tags. even when i was in the 1st service battalion, it was tags. even in the canadian marine corp reservices (canadian scottish regt.) they where called tags. i was also told the way we say officer ranks in the west was different and more american. i just thought it was because we where beach bumbs who where posted to fort lewis more than any canadian base

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 pm