Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Rare colt 45

invicta104th
    invicta104th

Rare colt 45 Empty Rare colt 45

Post by invicta104th Tue May 22, 2012 12:03 pm

My unit has, what I think is a rare US colt 45 pistol. It is stamped with US&S (for Union Switch and Spring, I think). I have been told it is quite rare. It was donated to the unit by the widow of a fromer commanding officer of the Carleton & York Regiment from WWII. It is in excellent condition and in working order. WE have all the paperwork for this weapon. My question is, what would this pistol be worth?

Thanks
    servicepub
    servicepub
    In Memoriam

Rare colt 45 Empty Re: Rare colt 45

Post by servicepub Tue May 22, 2012 7:40 pm

Not that rare. It is the Singer that most Colt Auto collectors look for.
    Seaforth Highlander
    Seaforth Highlander

Post by Seaforth Highlander Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:11 pm

1911A1 standard US Army issue sell in Canada for about $700 - $1,000 depending upon condition. Add something (e.g. $500) for named history as belonging to a CO of a unit that served in Italy and Holland. - e.g. if it was Budge Bell Irving's.

A refinished 1911A1 just sold locally for $700 and a mint one was at the local gun show for $1,000.

Values in USA are not relevant in Canada due to the laws making any legal weapon transfer across the border difficult and sometimes impossible.

Bottom line - Value of this hisoric pistol in Canada for tax receipt purposes etc. about $1,200 - $1,500

Colin Stevens
    Retired museum manager and curator
    I have done several major appraisals for the Canadian War Museum, RCA Museum in Shilo etc.

jbcannon

Post by jbcannon Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:11 am

What you probably have is a 1911a1 made by the Union Switch & Signal Co. These are quite hard to find in the States, especially if all original. The Switch mostly made railroad signaling gear, but like other companies that were known for machining it also picked up wartime contracts for pistols or carbines. Your pistol was made about four blocks from my house in Edgewood/Swissvale, Pennsylvania.
    Jim

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am