Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Still nothing

tremblay07
    tremblay07

Still nothing Empty Still nothing

Post by tremblay07 Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:31 pm

Ive been looking for years now and still i cant find anything on a family member that has served in world war 2 ive sent a appilcation to ottawa and they said that his records have been burned or something like that and no one in my family knows anything about him all i know is that his name is alderic leblanc and a picture of him in his uniform but u cant see any cap badge so i have no idea what regiment he was in or anything can anyone give me some advice please thanks.
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Still nothing Empty Re: Still nothing

Post by sarge5020 Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:06 pm

If it's any concelation, I sent the paperwork to Ottawa for a family member but all I got back is that he served in the Second World War and then in the reserves in the early 1950s. They would not provide any further information as he was a cousin and not a father or grandfather of mine.

Cheers,
    John
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:41 am

Interesting results the two of you have had. In the first case, I was not aware of any loss of records due to fire. I am familiar with Officers files damaged due to water. Some of the Officer Records I reviewed were not much help in my research as there were only a couple of pages that survived.

John, in your case, I would suspect your relative was not passed longer than 20 years. hose files are restricted but sill information should have been available, however sanitized, to exclude any personal informaion.

Last year or the year before, all time is pretty much a blur, I requested through access for Information act about a fellowed passed a few years before. I recieved a pretty good result.

Tremblay07, how long ago did you receive this reply? I would contact the National Library and Archives Canada and quote the reference number of your inquiry, asking for further information. I will admit lately the Archives seem to be closing thier doors to information, but this is mainly due to budget cuts and lack of staff.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    tremblay07
    tremblay07

Post by tremblay07 Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:08 am

I got the letter during the summer and it siad that since he was in the revserves didnt say what regiment it jsut said that they burned his records.It seems like all there really is,is a picture birth certificat and info about when he died thats all i have.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:17 pm

Hey there Tremblay07, I never thought of the Reserve Force. I understand those records were not kept. Any chance you could post a high resolution scan of your uncle, we maybe able to narrow the Unit down somewhat.

Below is a 'sanitized' copy of one of the records for my mother's brother. Unfortunatly, these records came some months after my mother passed away. She asked me if I could request her brothers file as she only knew he served for a short time.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    tremblay07
    tremblay07

Post by tremblay07 Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:49 pm

i dont have a scanner so i cant do that someone in my family i think could i should ask ,i have the picture of him and the way he is standing u cant see the side that would have the cap badge and it dosent seem like there is any shoulder flashes or anything like that on his uniform.Its odd to because i have other family members who where in world war 2 and i cant find anything about anyone its like all of there records are gone.
    tremblay07
    tremblay07

Still nothing Empty alderic

Post by tremblay07 Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:05 pm

kind of late but i have a better picture of alderic leblanc if u would like to take a look here it is,[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:36 am