Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

tips

tremblay07
    tremblay07

tips Empty tips

Post by tremblay07 Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:13 am

Ive just started collecting ww2 canadian militaria i already have a mkll and i just want some tips or help or something to help me in collecting.thanks
    Bill
    Bill

tips Empty Re: tips

Post by Bill Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:26 am

Best tip I can pass on is to do a lot of research before you start spending a lot of money.
    Second tip, a focus is important. There is a huge amount of SWW Canadian militaria, and to go after everything is impossible. Maybe make a "family service" focus or concentrate on badges, or create a representation of the kit a soldier would wear, or headdress, or a mixture of whatever it is that interests you, but aviod the pitfall of getting everything.
    Invest in some reference books, not just web sites.
    Attend militaria shows and fairs, and ask a lot of questions. Handle the material (carefully obviously) and get a feel for the items. Locate other collectors and network with them.
    And, if a deal is too good to be true, it probably is.
    tremblay07
    tremblay07

Post by tremblay07 Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:54 am

thanks,i attend sometimes a gun show in montreal and for now i think i am going to try to get ww2 canadian helmets or stuff on the black watch.thanks for the advice.I am not sure about reference books i havent seen any canadian ones yet.
    edstorey
    edstorey

tips Empty Refereces

Post by edstorey Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Check out the Service Publications website for good references. Make a list and go to your local library and have them order the books.

ED
    tremblay07
    tremblay07

Post by tremblay07 Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:44 pm

okay i will thanks for all the help(:
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:34 am

Perhaps find an area that interests you the most and focus that. There is a hell of a lot of Canadian military stuff out there and unless you have a huge bank account and a huge place to store or display all your treasures, narrowing your collecting to a couple of areas might be a good idea.

In my case, I'm focusing on the Essex Regiment (Tank), Windsor Regiment (RCAC) and the Canadian Armoured Corps.

Cheers,
    John
    tremblay07
    tremblay07

Post by tremblay07 Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:14 pm

since i live near the black watch of canada i think i will stick in find stuff for that regiment
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:54 am

Good choice! They've been around for a long time so the trill of hunting down badges and other memorabilia from the regiment will be a challenge and a lot of fun.

Cheers,
    John
    tremblay07
    tremblay07

Post by tremblay07 Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:57 am

thanks so much but i still havent found any reference books besides the info on this forum.
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:09 am

You may find more information onthis forum;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Most guys are usually helpful. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
    John
    edstorey
    edstorey

tips Empty References

Post by edstorey Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:32 am

Try looking here.

Service Publications [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Historire and Collections [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

also here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Schiffer Books [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Or maybe here Osprey Publications [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    37patt
    37patt

Post by 37patt Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:37 pm

To add to Ed's reply, Service Publications is an excellent source of reference books.
    Some that I have found to be helpful over the years are:

Canuck, Clothing and Equipping the Canadian Soldier 1939-1945 by Michael Dorosh
    The Canadian Soldier 1944-1945 by Jean Bouchery (just realize that the colour green shown in the book is NOT the proper colour for Canadian uniforms)
    Tangled Web by Jack Summers
    Drab Serge and Khaki Drill by Grant Tyler

I have several of the Up Close series and Weapons of War series from Service Publications and have found them to be very useful as well.

Abe Books, an internet search site, will give you multiple dealers for most of these.

The most important thing to remember is to collect what interests YOU. You'll still find yourself collecting items that don't quite fit the collection but that you found interesting anyway, and once you have a couple of varieties you will have a whole new road to follow. My interests have changed over the years (guns mainly to Canadian Army militaria) so expect your focus to quite possibly change over the years.

Good luck and have fun.

Eric
    tremblay07
    tremblay07

Post by tremblay07 Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks everyone so much for all this help and best of luck with your collections to thanks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm