Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Converged arid cadpat coat

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Converged arid cadpat coat Empty Converged arid cadpat coat

Post by Infanteer Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:41 pm

Some of these came into work today to be shredded. I've never seen this style in use before. It is factory made and has sleeve pockets made from standard chest pockets (including button holes) but close with velcro. Also, the two chest pockets are flat and close with velcro but most notable is the absence of lower pockets which is reminiscent of the combat shirts issued in the early 90's. Sorry for the quality but I had to use my phone to get the photo.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Converged arid cadpat coat Empty Re: Converged arid cadpat coat

Post by mk1rceme Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:39 pm

Oh my! Tell me you got to save one?!?

I know it was probably impossible...sad.

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:15 am

Very interesting. I have never seen these before. I can only wonder about the usage of these. TERPS? Will have to look into my photos again.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    edstorey
    edstorey

Converged arid cadpat coat Empty Label

Post by edstorey Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:20 am

The size label with the NSN is always the key to identification and a good thing to photograph if possible.

ED
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:33 am

edstorey wrote:The size label with the NSN is always the key to identification and a good thing to photograph if possible.

ED

Yeah, Yeah, leave it to Ed to come up with a sensible idea. Honestly, I never thought about the NSN label. Something I always look for when thinking of adding an addition to the collection.

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:31 pm

edstorey wrote:The size label with the NSN is always the key to identification and a good thing to photograph if possible.

ED

I have it... just didn't bother sharing as all it says is "Coat/Manteau Converge, Cadpat Arid" with NSN 8415-21-921-7219. When I looked it up I was a bit rushed but it didn't seem to be anything special according to the description. I'm wondering now if they are normal shirts that have been modified as the chest pockets on this shirt looks very much like the same pockets that were placed on the sleeves of the standard theatre modified shirts overseas. That would also explain why the sleeve pockets still have the button holes. The thread and stitching looked factory done on the shirt that I quickly examined but it's possible that it was modified in theatre and just well done. Perhaps it was an attempt to make the standard shirts more suitable for wear under body armor before the hybrid shirts were introduced. I highly doubt that a special uniform for interpreters would have been made or unique modifications done for their use. I will have a closer look on Monday when I'm at work and see if I can find evidence of pockets being moved.

Last edited by Infanteer on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:36 am

Hi Steve, i wasn't thinking something specially made for the interpreters, just modified a bit for them.

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:58 am

pylon1357 wrote:Hi Steve, i wasn't thinking something specially made for the interpreters, just modified a bit for them.

Same thing applies. I've expanded my statement to include mods. In my experience with working with interpreters, if given a uniform to wear they would normally receive the most basic uniform available and not the latest and greatest. There was a lot of modifications carried out, prototyping of uniforms/equipment, and newly acquired items during our time in Afghanistan and most of it was used by units outside the wire and so only the people in those units/locations would be familiar with them. Take load bearing equipment for example. The issue tac vest quickly proved to be unsuitable for combat units and there were many different trial systems issued and some units acquired equipment for use during a deployment. Add to that all of the private purchase rigs used by individual soldiers and it becomes difficult to know what was used officially and what was unofficial.
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:29 pm

So after I finally got the chance to have a more thorough inspection of several of these shirts I have determined that they are indeed standard shirts that have been modified. The quality on most shirts is very good but there are traces of where the lower pockets were carefully removed and some of the stitch lines are not quite as good as would be exprected on a factory made item. Still an interesting modification and I would be curious to know why they were done. My guess is that it would improve comfort for wear under body armor but without more info this is purely conjecture.
    edstorey
    edstorey

Converged arid cadpat coat Empty CADPAT Shirts

Post by edstorey Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:04 pm

All they all being shredded? Is there no mechanism to save one or two for a museum?
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:41 pm

edstorey wrote:All they all being shredded? Is there no mechanism to save one or two for a museum?

This was going to be my question as well. I assume these are still protected and must be destroyed? IIRC there is a new pattern coming out? If so, will these remain protected?

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:27 pm

One was pulled out for the 7CFSD museum. I have tried to get Cadpat items for the LER museum but unfortunately they are not a part of the CF military museum organization and therefore do not have a DA that items such as this can be transferred to. I have no idea if items such as this are making their way to the Canadian War Museum or if they are even interested.
    edstorey
    edstorey

Converged arid cadpat coat Empty CADPAT for Museum

Post by edstorey Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:33 am

If one or two can be held for the CWM, I will check today. Send me a message on the CF DWAN.
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:55 am

pylon1357 wrote: IIRC there is a new pattern coming out? If so, will these remain protected?

Yes, there is a new uniform coming out. Funny enough they share a lot of features with the current US army uniform that apparently is not very popular. But maybe ours will be better received. I doubt that the introduction of the new uniform will have any effect on the level of control placed on Cadpat items.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:53 pm