Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

Canadians with Captured/Liberated Items

mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Canadians with Captured/Liberated Items Empty Canadians with Captured/Liberated Items

Post by mk1rceme Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:38 pm

Looking through my files I have noticed a few pictures that show Canadian troops with captured German equipment, flags, and weapons. Thought I would post a few.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Canadian personnel examining German P3Kpf W V 'Panther' tank, Authie, France, 9 July 1944.

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Canadians with Captured/Liberated Items Empty Re: Canadians with Captured/Liberated Items

Post by mk1rceme Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:45 pm

Pte. Bob Miller and Pte. Randall Hillis of the 7th Canadian Infantry Battalion with their own scarecrow made with German uniform and a copy of Mein Kampf written by Hitler.

Privates L.B. Roy and R.L. Parker, Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa, with a German flag captured in a quarry south of Hautmesnil. August 10, 1944, Hautmesnil, France.

Last edited by mk1rceme on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Canadians with Captured/Liberated Items Empty Re: Canadians with Captured/Liberated Items

Post by mk1rceme Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:52 pm

Canadian soldiers displaying photos of Dorothy Lamour which they found in a German trench. (L-R): Private Norman Milton, Corporal Frank Maxwell. 19 July 1944, Vaucelles, France.

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:00 pm

Corporal W. Lennox, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, at a front-line machine gun post, Bretteville-Orgueilleuse, France, 20 June 1944.

Personnel of the South Saskatchewan Regiment in captured German 'Schwimmwagen' amphibious car of the Wehrmacht. August 11, 1944, Rocquancourt, France.

Pte. G.A. Playford, 2 Canadian Infantry Division, sorting captured German weapons. 3 Mar 1945, Hochwald Forest, Germany.

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:11 pm

Pte. H.H. deVries and Pte. M.A. Sallows, both of Toronto, examine 122 mm. German gun after it had been spiked on hill over caves used by German artillery unit. 2 July 1944, Fontaine-Henry, France.

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:06 pm

This massive pile of helmets was found years later, dug up, and sold on the open market.

Last edited by mk1rceme on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total

GCR817

Post by GCR817 Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi Dale,

I had not heard of them being dug up and sold. So, did the Canadian bury all this stuff at the end of the war?

I have seen a lot of buried equipment surface out of the Russia, but not Holland.

Very intesesting!

Cheers,

Geoff
    GCR817
    GCR817

Canadians with Captured/Liberated Items Empty Family Looter

Post by GCR817 Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:14 pm

This is a pic of my wife's Grandfather (on the left), posing with a buddy and some of their captured loot!

He (Pte John Nimcan), landed with the Canadian Scottish on 6 June 44 and served throughout the war, even after being wounded.

Regrettably, Johnny passed away last fall.

Oh, as per his loot? All that came home is a lovely "Black Widow" luger and a couple odd badges.

mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:27 pm

GCR817 wrote:Hi Dale,

I had not heard of them being dug up and sold. So, did the Canadian bury all this stuff at the end of the war?

I have seen a lot of buried equipment surface out of the Russia, but not Holland.

Very intesesting!

Cheers,

Geoff

Yep, it was all buried. It was found again and dug up a few years back. I think it was called the "big hole" find.

Sorry, I edited my post...found the original pic with the description.

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:34 pm

Here is a link to the finds...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Great pic of your Grandfather!

Bill

Post by Bill Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:41 am

HiDale, What is the source of the image of the RCR WO examining the helmets?
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:53 am

Bill wrote:HiDale, What is the source of the image of the RCR WO examining the helmets?

I'm not sure. I think I found the picture on either the WAF or MCF...I've had it for so long now I can't remember.

Bill

Post by Bill Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:39 am

Thanks Dale, found the image in the FACES of WARweb resource.
    Wouter
    Wouter

Post by Wouter Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:05 am

mk1rceme wrote:Here is a link to the finds...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Great pic of your Grandfather!

What you are saying about the big hole is partly true. The location had been known for a few years among a select group of people. They would go there and take the best helmets. No one cared. Then someone leaked and the location became a public secret in the metal detecting world. Lots of people went there and turned the area into the surface of the moon. Lots of craters. And considering this was in a forest, lots of people did not like it. There are now guards in the area where the helmets and equipment are buried and there is a hefty fine if you get caught. Some people still go there at night though.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:55 pm

Privates H.A. Fraser, G.R. Wood and W.F. Sager, all of the Highland Light Infantry of Canada, eating lunch on a makeshift table, on which can be seen a German Waffen SS helmet, Thaon, France, 6 August 1944.

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:14 pm

Westminster Regiment, 5th Canadian Armoured Brigade troops posing on a disabled Hornisse-Nashorn tank destroyer near Pontecorvo, Italy, 26 May 1944. Source: Library and Archives Canada

Wouter

Post by Wouter Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:10 am

Here's a picture of Frank Schmidt (C Scot R, assault pioneer platoon) somewhere in the Netherlands, wearing an American jump jacket. It saddens me to say that Frank passed away very recently. He went through the entire thing, from D-Day to VE-Day, but was always very humble when I talked to him. May he rest in peace.

LSR
    LSR

Post by LSR Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:23 am

The man in the middle is carrying a gew 43

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm