Medals etc. of first Regimental Commander of the Canadian Airborne Regiment, Col. Don H. Rochester, OBE, CD

Seaforth Highlander

Medals etc. of first Regimental Commander of the Canadian Airborne Regiment, Col. Don H. Rochester, OBE, CD

Post by Seaforth Highlander on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 am

I received a call from a picker who had bought these items at a garage sale. I bought all of the Canadian Army stuff from him and it was not cheap. It included the Colonel's 13 medals (OBE, WWII, Korea, UNEF, Canadian Centennial, CD etc., his 13 miniatures, berets with badges, WWII, Korean War patches and United Nations patches and shoulder titles, Canadian Airborne Regiment statuette (2nd type, with snowshoes on back) etc. Another collector had also been at that garage sale and had bought a 105mm artillery shell, chromed, and engraved as presented to Col. Rochester by the Airborne Battery in 1969. I told Bornewest (the local Canadian Airborne association on the West Coast of which I am an associate member) about it and they plan to buy it.

Colonel Rochester served in WWII in NWE in the RCE. He made 1,500 parachute jumps (ciivilian and military) and was the first Regimental Commander of the Cdn AB Regt in 1968-1969, was senior Engineer of the Canadian Army. He was apparently awarded his OBE for work in Korea. He later served with UNEF in the Sinai. He was also an Army Pilot. He was later Commander of the base at Chilliwack.

He was quite the Canadian soldier!

Seaforth Highlander

Re: Medals etc. of first Regimental Commander of the Canadian Airborne Regiment, Col. Don H. Rochester, OBE, CD

Post by Seaforth Highlander on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Here are some of the items I have acquired that once belonged to Colonel Don H. Rochester OBE CD, first Regimental Commander, the Canadian Airborne Regiment.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Colin

Seaforth Highlander

Colonel Rochester's medals now in Airbnorne hands for display.

Post by Seaforth Highlander on Sat May 04, 2013 9:11 pm

Update - 2013-05-03 Colonel Don H. Rochester's 13 medals (OBE through CD), his maroon beret (1956 dated) with first pattern Canadian Airborne Regiment cap badge (he was their first Regimental CO). various wings, badges/buttons/patches from WWII to his end of service were sold by me at cost in April 2013 to a friend of the late Colonel Rochester, Colonel Wayne Dehnke (ex-Cdn AB Regt) of Bornewest (airborne veterans) and he in turn it providing them at cost to their little museum to be displayed in Chilliwack. The medals etc. are being framed fo that they may be displayed.

Their "museum" is in the building on the former army base of CFB Chilliwack that is now used by the Canadian Military Education Centre. CMEC allows the airborne veterans to display their items in a corner of the building. CMEC is open Fri-Sat-Sun 10:00 - 1600 hrs (10 am - 4 pm).

Colin

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Re: Medals etc. of first Regimental Commander of the Canadian Airborne Regiment, Col. Don H. Rochester, OBE, CD

Post by pylon1357 on Sat May 04, 2013 10:01 pm

WOW, I am just seeing this for the first time, and you turned it around already... I do understand how important this group is and what it means at a Regimental level.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

RCN Sailor

Post by RCN Sailor on Thu May 16, 2013 8:30 pm

I too am just seeing this awesome group for the first time. Wish I could find such items at garage sales.

While it is nice to hear this important group will be on display, such 'small' museums worry me as they are not usually sustainable and when they fold the items tend to go underground. I am not suggesting this will happen here - just a general comment.

Ed

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:02 pm

Current date/time is Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:02 pm