Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

WW2 Canadian Airborne made paratroopers cartridge belt

Perth-Regiment(M.G.)
    Perth-Regiment(M.G.)

WW2 Canadian Airborne made paratroopers cartridge belt Empty WW2 Canadian Airborne made paratroopers cartridge belt

Post by Perth-Regiment(M.G.) Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Canadian Airborne paratroopers customized ammo belt.. Made out of pattern 1937 para webbing and aluminum para aircraft belt buckles, 2- (?) pouches (I don't what kind of pouches they are) and a 303 pouch permanatly fixed to web belt that is 40 " long... Maybe this guy was a sniper? and Is it Rare to find these?
    WW2 Canadian Airborne made paratroopers cartridge belt 002_212

WW2 Canadian Airborne made paratroopers cartridge belt 003_210

WW2 Canadian Airborne made paratroopers cartridge belt 00610

WW2 Canadian Airborne made paratroopers cartridge belt 00810
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

WW2 Canadian Airborne made paratroopers cartridge belt Empty Re: WW2 Canadian Airborne made paratroopers cartridge belt

Post by Infanteer Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Why do you believe that this item has an airborne connection? Do you have the provenance for the belt? If it was rigger made I would expect to see the pouches sewn to the belt rather then riveted. A lot of these types of belts have been made up by people in their garages for use while hunting or whatever your imagination could come up with.
    Perth-Regiment(M.G.)
    Perth-Regiment(M.G.)

WW2 Canadian Airborne made paratroopers cartridge belt Empty Re: WW2 Canadian Airborne made paratroopers cartridge belt

Post by Perth-Regiment(M.G.) Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:00 pm

I bought it from the son of the original owner of the belt. He told me his dad was in the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion, and that his dad had it made in England. And he thinks his dad may have been a sniper.
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:05 pm

I would take that story with a grain of salt. I have a similar p37 belt with pouches riveted on. It also came from a vets son and it indeed was his dads. But his dad put it together, just like infanteer said to use a tool belt in his shop.
    The kid may believe that story or maybe parts of it are true, but that belt I doubt was used in the war in that configuration.
    Do you have a name to see if indeed the vet was 1st Can Para?

Perth-Regiment(M.G.)

Post by Perth-Regiment(M.G.) Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:08 pm

I'll e-mall him and ask him for his dads name
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:12 pm

I can look up his name for you if you like.

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:23 pm

Oh, and I was going to add that the belt looks to be a pattern 1908 brace (shoulder strap) and not parachute webbing. Don't be too eager to accept claims about items being used by special troops/units especially when they are non standard.
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:40 pm

Here's one I have, p37 belt with a strap riveted on and using a german ammo pouch also. Probably set up for hunting, I can imagine the vet with this belt on loaded with shotgun shells and the german pouch loaded with other goodies he'd need on the hunt.

WW2 Canadian Airborne made paratroopers cartridge belt 002
    free photo hosting

WW2 Canadian Airborne made paratroopers cartridge belt 005
    upload

WW2 Canadian Airborne made paratroopers cartridge belt 004
    picture upload

WW2 Canadian Airborne made paratroopers cartridge belt 004
    picture upload

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:48 pm

Hey Jeff...Is that what you wear when shooting turkeys? lol!

jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:55 pm

mk1rceme wrote:Hey Jeff...Is that what you wear when shooting turkeys? lol!

Yep, nothing but the newest high tech gear for me! WW2 Canadian Airborne made paratroopers cartridge belt 1739809586

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 am