Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+2
kozowy1967
Jonhno
6 posters

Question regarding Canadian helmet paint colour

Jonhno

Question regarding Canadian helmet paint colour Empty Question regarding Canadian helmet paint colour

Post by Jonhno Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:58 pm

I have not seen a canadian made helmet later that 1942 as yet and I wanted to ask if like British ww2 Mk 2 and 3 helmets the colour changed to a dark almost black green? thank you John
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Question regarding Canadian helmet paint colour Empty Re: Question regarding Canadian helmet paint colour

Post by kozowy1967 Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:12 am

Hi Jonhno All Canadian produced Mk II shells have been base sprayed in khaki green.
    The shells that were produced from 1940 to early 1942 tend to be painted in a browner shade of khaki compared to shells from mid 1942-1943 which are base sprayed a more light olive drab
    Sorry John have not figured out the image up loader yet or I would add some comparison photos for you of early and late war produced helmet bodies

Regards Mark
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Question regarding Canadian helmet paint colour Empty Re: Question regarding Canadian helmet paint colour

Post by mk1rceme Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:40 pm

Hey Mark! Here is a photo posting tutorial for you. It is a bit wonky, but easy when you catch on. Just practice in the test section.

https://www.cdnmilitarycollectors.com/t2381-another-photo-posting-tutorial

kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:49 pm

Thanks Dale I will play around tonight after work.

Regards Mark
    edstorey
    edstorey

Question regarding Canadian helmet paint colour Empty Canadian Mk II

Post by edstorey Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:46 pm

Here are a couple of images.

ED
    Question regarding Canadian helmet paint colour CanadianMkIIHelmet

Question regarding Canadian helmet paint colour DSC08950
    servicepub
    servicepub
    In Memoriam

Post by servicepub Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Here's why you shoudn't put too much value on colours.

Question regarding Canadian helmet paint colour Dsc06338
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:46 pm

Thanks Ed I have always loved that Instructors helmet you have posted in image two .
    Nice image Clive I have a few field applied hand painted helmets in my collection my favorite being a C.L./C. 42 that has been brush painted in a desert tan (Italian Campaign)it has taken on a nice deep patina do to natural aging,oxidization of the paint and handling.
    Question regarding Canadian helmet paint colour Pictur13
    This does not change the fact though that at the time of production or very shortly after that only one of two  base colors of khaki would have been applied dependent of course when the helmet body was produced.

Regards Mark

Last edited by kozowy1967 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add image)
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:27 pm

One of my helmets has the later green color and is dated 1941 which seems to be early for this color but it's definitely a factory paint job.
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:33 pm

I wonder if the helmet in question never made it to the paint line to be sprayed until mid 42 unusual to see one that early on in the lighter shade of later war khaki I would be happy to have that one in my collection 2 thumbs up 

Regards Mark
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:04 am

I appreciate the help, I was curious if the dark/black green made an appearance on Canadian MK2's even into later use like the british changed colour around 43,

But it does not seem to be the case for canadian helmets from the factory anyway, I do agree any shade is possible though on a re-paint,
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:03 pm

No, that dark color was never officially used on Canadian made MkII's as far as I can tell.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 am