Khaki BD Jacket & Trousers

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Khaki BD Jacket & Trousers

Post by mk1rceme on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:43 am

Had these stashed away for a while and finally got access to them again. These were in my Grandfathers kit that I inherited. As I understand, the Canadian version of this BD was not worn overseas, the trousers, I'm not sure. They do have a lot more wear than the jacket and are made of much thicker cotton duck material. Gramps was a mechanic and driver during the war, would it be possible he was issued these items and never took them overseas? I know the BD jacket was in use with homefront units during the war. Another mystery. banghead 

edstorey

Canadian KD BD

Post by edstorey on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:35 am

This uniform was the Canadian equivalent of British denims. It was a work uniform that was suppose to be worn over or in lieu of BD when engaged in work that could damage the BD like vehicle maintenance or painting. Take note of the label which has printed Overalls - Blouses as opposed to BD labels which usually have printed something like Blouses, Serge, Battle Dress. Also this Canadian KD had permanently affixed shoulder straps which would negate the wearing of unit slip-on titles and for securing webbing shoulder straps.

I am not saying that this uniform was never worn as a field uniform in Canada, but what I am giving you is the evidence that it was not intended as such.

A nice set and a good example of a WWII work uniform.

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Re: Khaki BD Jacket & Trousers

Post by mk1rceme on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:47 pm

Somewhere I saw a Pacific Coast Militia badged blouse just like this one. I can't seem to find it again though.

48th

Post by 48th on Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:33 pm

I have a set of these also, like yours my set is mint and early WWII dated. The pants that came with my set matches the pants you posted.
    Like Ed said I was told they were used mostly in Canada when the soldier was doing training that would dirty the regular wool BD or when working on trucks and so forth. Nice set, you don't see them very often.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:19 pm

Current date/time is Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:19 pm