Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Organizing the collection

Humphrey95
    Humphrey95

Organizing the collection Empty Organizing the collection

Post by Humphrey95 Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi all

I'm not sure if the is the right place to ask, but if not maybe the moderator could move it to the right spot.

I am looking to get my collection sorted and organized, and am wondering if others in the forum might be using a collection software or database for tracking their items, and what they might think of it. I was going to try something myself, but there are so many readily available out there. But that's my problem, there are so many out there!

Let me know what you've tried, and what seems to work.

Thanks....
    Brent W
    Brent W

Organizing the collection Empty Collection Software

Post by Brent W Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi,
    Over the years I purchased at least three different militaria collection software programs. I ultimately came to the conclusion that they were all crap. About ten years ago I decided to use Microsoft Office's Excel program which allows you to set up a spread sheet however you like. Once I became more proficient with it, I discovered there are lots of tools within the program that are quite useful.

That's my two cents.
    Brent
    sixxpackjack

Organizing the collection Empty Re: Organizing the collection

Post by sixxpackjack Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:55 pm

I basically had the same experience as Brent. However I chose to use Microsoft Access instead.

I used one the pre-made templates and modified the fields to more of what I require. It took me about an hour to arrange what fields I wanted as drop boxes, what I wanted for selections in drop boxes and what order the fields would be in. I'm even able to link to pictures for a visual.

Access is great for allowing me search for items by as many categories as I like that exists. Its been a pleasure to use.

-Todd
    Humphrey95
    Humphrey95

Post by Humphrey95 Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:29 pm

Thanks for the opinions. I figured that the DIY way would probably serve best....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:56 pm