Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

chin strap of the MKII ????

thegate
    thegate

chin strap of the MKII ???? Empty chin strap of the MKII ????

Post by thegate Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:22 am

Hello, i have a question on the chin strap of the MKII.
    Is it a copy or another manufacturing?

It finds it self on 3 Canadian helmet.
    Thanks

chin strap of the MKII ???? Ca_01213
    chin strap of the MKII ???? Ca_01214
    chin strap of the MKII ???? Ca_01215
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

chin strap of the MKII ???? Empty Re: chin strap of the MKII ????

Post by kozowy1967 Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi Gate I find these chinstraps a little on the confusing side my self as I have two as well in my collection and dependent on the information you read and or other collectors theories and or points of view there are one of two possibilities.
    The first being an early 1940 chinstrap with a blackened buckle and closed center strut which was the predecessor of the standard Mk II chinstrap that we are all accustomed to the second being they are a very early post war khaki chinstrap which was the predecessor to the Dark OD green chinstrap that was issued sometime in around 1952 .
    One of my examples has the Canadian Government acceptance stamp on it while the other is unmarked.But then again I have wartime produced Mk II chinstraps with the same Government acceptance stamp on it were these pulled from military stores and reissued or were they produced post war I wish I had an answer for you but they are a bit of a mystery to me as well perhaps some one else such as Dale, ED, or Clive will add there input to the thread with more knowledge on these than I here is an image of one of mine as well to contemplate.
    chin strap of the MKII ???? Pictur14
    Regards Mark

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:20 pm

I have one of these chinstraps with a post war (1950's) acceptance stamp so it's my opinion (for what it's worth) that they are post war chinstraps and not early war.
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:27 pm

Thanks Infanteer this still leaves one unanswered question for me though was there a early war variation as well with the closed center strut like the early post war variation and if so I do not think to date I have seen one.
    I have only read descriptions in reference books and on websites that describe it and only a very general description.
    Sorry must have been having a moment the first 1 posted above was C-/l\ marked

chin strap of the MKII ???? Pictur15
    Regards Mark

Last edited by kozowy1967 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add image and info)
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:03 pm

Okay, if I'm not mistaken there is a faint arrow on the above chin strap.... keep in mind that the C broad arrow stamp was used into the 50's so that in itself is not a conclusive indicator that the chinstrap was used during the war. Personally, I've only encountered this style strap with post war markings. Others have stated here and on other forums that they have only seen this style of strap on 1940 dated helmets (this chin strap is on a 1941 dated shell that is in the later war green color), although this doesn't mean that those chin straps weren't added post war. The springs had a tendency to wear through the fabric and require replacement.

chin strap of the MKII ???? Img_3511
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:50 pm

Dead center of the last image I posted above is a very faint outline in black of a C- Broad Arrow on this exact same style of chinstrap shown I do know that the C-/l\ mark can be found on early post war items as well .Take note the second chinstrap shown is in a browner shade of khaki more like the standard Mk II in comparison to the other one shown with the Canadian Government acceptance stamp which has a greener hue in color Here are images of my two examples.chin strap of the MKII ???? Pictur18
    chin strap of the MKII ???? Pictur19
    Regards Mark

Last edited by kozowy1967 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add information)
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:43 pm

Is it your position that this style of chin strap was possibly issued early war and post war? I don't really follow what point is being made.
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:05 am

I do know that the one I have shown with the C broad Arrow stamp came off a 1940 dated C.L./C. and the other with the Canadian Goverment acceptance stamp came off a post war sand textured helmet.

Regards Mark
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:31 am

And my post war marked chinstrap is on a 1941 dated C.L./C. helmet so clearly post war straps can be found on early war helmets. I'm not convinced on the evidence presented thus far that these chinstraps existed early war. I will be convinced when I see a wartime photo with a helmet that has this style of chinstrap. So now the hunt for a suitable photo begins... one of the more enjoyable aspects of collecting for me.
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:51 am

Thanks for your input Infanteer good of you to chime in I am still on the fence as it were for the time being and I am not convinced these are early war either and a period image is possibly what would be needed to back up the claim that these are an early war variation.

Regards Mark
    thegate
    thegate

Post by thegate Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:42 am

Hello guys, here is by looking at one of my copies I undoes the buckle to find a stamp of the Canadian waroffice there but not WW2 , he is good poste war.
    These stamps were used has to leave of 1950
    The theory of the chin strap of the 1st type made before 1940 did not stick for a good reason, the manufacturing of helmets MKII by Canada it began in 1940 thus did not produce a chin strap before it is illogical.

Thus for me: yes Canadian manufacturing
    date of manufacture: 1950 has 1960.

chin strap of the MKII ???? Dsc03510
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:13 pm

That's how I see it as well.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:14 am