Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

September 28th, 1901 - Calgary, N.W.T. - My Latest Find.....

qsamike
    qsamike

September 28th, 1901 - Calgary, N.W.T. - My Latest Find..... Empty September 28th, 1901 - Calgary, N.W.T. - My Latest Find.....

Post by qsamike Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:53 pm

Good Evening Everyone…..

On September 28th, 1901, the Duke and Duchess were in the city of Calgary, North West Territories for the presentation of Boer War medals to the Canadian Veterans from the area that would in 1905 become the Province of Alberta.....

On the morning of September 28th, 1901 they held the medal parade and along with the medals each Officer, Non-Commissioned Officer, and Man received a medallion as shown below…..

It was made in three metals, Silver, Bronze and White Metal. The Silver going to Officers, the Bronze to NCO’s and Men and the White Metal was sold to the general public as a souvenir…….

Here is the description of the Medallion…….

Reference: Hern – 930, Laidlaw - 0041

Edge: Plain

Obverse: Conjoined busts of the Duke, in uniform, and Duchess, wearing a coronet, facing left. Legend: “T.R.H. THE DUKE & DUCHESS OF CORNWALL & YORK”. In a scroll below the busts: “VISITED CANADA / 1901”

Reverse: In the centre, the Royal coat of arms surmounted by a crown and flanked on either side by a Canadian soldier. On the left, a member of the Canadian Mounted Rifles or Lord Strathcona’s Horse. On the right, a member of the Royal Canadian Regiment. Above, a scroll showing: “CANADA”. On a band, the legend divided into two parts by the design: "IN SOUTH AFRICA (left) 1899-1900 (right)”. The soldiers standing on a raised dais inscribed: “FOR / CROWN & EMPIRE” maple leaves below.

Notes: The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York (later King George V and Queen Mary) visited Canada during September and October 1901 travelling across the continent and back again. This was a component of a wider world tour which included Australia and South Africa partly as a show of Royal appreciation for loyalty during the Boer War.

Maker: P. Ellis and Co. Ltd., Toronto

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

While in Calgary they also attended an assembly of the Chiefs and First Nations at which time a medal / medallion was presented to the Grand and Lesser Chiefs.

This I must say is my big find of the Show here in Calgary.

1901 Calgary Silver and Bronze Indian Peace Medal Issued for the "Assembly of North American Indians." According to the book, Medals Awarded to North American Indian Chiefs 1714-1922," by Melvill Allan Jamieson.

"During the world tour of Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York, now their Majesties King George V and Queen Mary, undertaken soon after the accession of King Edward VII, Canada was visited in the autumn of 1901, as in the other parts of the British Empire a gathering of the native tribes was held to offer allegiance to the Royal travelers who were representing the King Emperor. The assembly of North American Indians took place at Calgary, Alberta, on September 28th, 1901, and was attended by some two thousand Indians who had trekked from different parts of Canada." Several Chiefs from six tribes signed a welcome statement that was read to the Royal visitors by a young Indian boy. His Royal Highness, the Duke of Cornwall, replied to the opening statement and noted that, "The Great King has ordered a silver medal to be struck to commemorate the day, and one medal will be presented to each of the Head Chiefs which shall always be kept by him."

The Bronze medals were presented by His Royal Highness to the Lesser Chiefs to a total of 24.

This medal has the conjoined busts of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York, facing left, with the inscription, THEIR ROYAL HIGHNESSES-THE DUKE AND DUCHESS-OF CORNWALL AND YORK, within a scroll pattern of maple leaves. The reverse has the Royal Arms in the center with CALGARY-SEP 28TH-1901 below and the peripheral legend, PRESENTED TO THE HEAD CHIEFS IN COMMEMORATION OF ASSEMBLY OF INDIAN TRIBES. The medals were struck for the Canadian Government by P. Ellis and Co. Ltd., Toronto

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    sixxpackjack

September 28th, 1901 - Calgary, N.W.T. - My Latest Find..... Empty Re: September 28th, 1901 - Calgary, N.W.T. - My Latest Find.....

Post by sixxpackjack Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:17 pm

Fantastic pieces! Thanks for sharing. A little bit of a forgotten past.

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 am