Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Latest additions to my 5 C.M.R medal collection

lorne19
    lorne19

Latest additions to my 5 C.M.R medal collection Empty Latest additions to my 5 C.M.R medal collection

Post by lorne19 Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:16 pm

Both of these recently showed up in my mail box.  For those who aren't awear one of my collectig focuses is medal named to original members of the 5 C.M.R so I was pretty happy to score these.  The vcitory medal is named to 110009 A/SGT Bud Anderson.  Has it turns out this name is actually an assumed name, his actual name is William Henry Hughs.  He served three years with the 22nd Saskatchewan horse and a time with the Montreal Heavy Artillery before attesting with the 5 C.M.R on May 15th 1915.  He was KIA on October 14th 1916 age 25.  The memorial Cross is anmed to 110443 Corporal William Richard Pearson.  He attested with the 5 C.M.R on Feb 2nd 1915 after having served 9 months with the Corps of Guids.  He was KIA on August 13th 1916 in the trenches near Ypres.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Latest additions to my 5 C.M.R medal collection Empty Re: Latest additions to my 5 C.M.R medal collection

Post by pylon1357 Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:06 am

Lorne, I have to say, I have just started looking into acquiring a pair or trio to the 5th CMR, not trying to invade you collecting interest, LOL,  but I am working on expanding my WWI collection to include an example of all CEF Bns.

I seem to find most available are either KIA or DOWs. None of the groups are complete. It seems to me these boys really took a beating.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    lorne19
    lorne19

Latest additions to my 5 C.M.R medal collection Empty Re: Latest additions to my 5 C.M.R medal collection

Post by lorne19 Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi Cliff, no worries a little competition is good. My main interest in the 5CMR is focussed on men who attested with the battalion rather than men who served with the battalion has replacments. Only the original boys recieved the 14-15 star and not many of them made it to Nov 1918. The 5CMR arrived in France in Nov-Dec 1915 so they saw a lot of action between then and Nov 1918.
    Ian B
    Ian B

Latest additions to my 5 C.M.R medal collection Empty Looking for a medal group

Post by Ian B Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:44 pm

Good day Lorne,

I understand that you only collect medal groups for original members of 5CMR.  However, I have been looking for the medal group of my maternal grandfather, who served in that unit.

His name is Arthur C. Wiswell.  He enlisted Feb/16 in 6CMR as a private, sailed with the unit to England and was promoted to Sgt. there.  Arrived in France and transferred to 5CMR when 3 and 6CMR were broken up and sent to 1/2/4/5CMR to form the Mounted Rifle Bde.  Wounded Jun 3/16.  Evaced to England, CFR'd and ended the war as Lieut.  Demobb Aug/19.  He should be entitled to 14-15 Star, BWM and VM.

Nobody in the immediate family seems to know where his medals are.  They do exist as it was my mother's job to polish them up for granddad for each Remembrance Day.  I have his 6CMR OR's hat badge and commissioning scroll.  I tried the funeral home that supervised his burial in the mid '50's, thinking he might have wanted the medals buried with him; but they have no records from that time frame.  I had no luck contacting the NS command of the Royal Canadian Legion on the off chance the medals were donated to his local branch in Halifax (don't even know if he was a member).

So, in your collecting, have you ever come across his group?  If you, or any one else for that matter, knows the location of this group, I would be grateful.

Cheers,

Ian
    lorne19
    lorne19

Post by lorne19 Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi Ian,

I'm afraid I've never run across your grandfathers medals in my travels but I will certainly take note of his name and regimental number and keep my eyes open for you. I do wish you luck in your search, there still a fair chance that they missed the smelter and are still out there. On another note do have any photos of your grandfather while he was serving with the 5CMR? Also if your interested I have copies of the battalions daily orders part II, I would be more thsn happy to pass a copy on to you.

Thanks Lorne jr
    Ian B
    Ian B

Post by Ian B Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:55 am

Lorne, 

The only pics I have are found at the link below.  The first is a studio portrait of Arthur and his two brothers taken while all in leave in London.  The second is from his officer's course in England.  Both are about half way down in the post.

Ian

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    lorne19
    lorne19

Post by lorne19 Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:39 pm

Thanks for the link Ian, great pics your very lucky to have so many pics of your family in uniform. I'll keep my open for you.

Thanks lorne jr
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:52 pm

Ian B wrote:Good day Lorne,

His name is Arthur C. Wiswell.  He enlisted Feb/16 in 6CMR as a private, sailed with the unit to England and was promoted to Sgt. there.  Arrived in France and transferred to 5CMR when 3 and 6CMR were broken up and sent to 1/2/4/5CMR to form the Mounted Rifle Bde.  Wounded Jun 3/16.  Evaced to England, CFR'd and ended the war as Lieut.  Demobb Aug/19.  He should be entitled to 14-15 Star, BWM and VM.

Cheers,

Ian

Good Evening Ian......

If he enlisted in 1916 he would not be entitled to the 1914 - 1915 Star......

I will also put the pair on my watch list.....

Mike

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:53 am