Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Ebay Pictures

mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Ebay Pictures Empty Ebay Pictures

Post by mk1rceme Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:02 am

If anyone would like to post pictures of current ebay items that can't be copied(or so they think) with their new picture hosting service. Just post the link and I'll get the picture for you.

Dale

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Ebay Pictures Empty Re: Ebay Pictures

Post by mk1rceme Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:50 pm

Just to add to this topic...I will retrieve pictures for reference on this site only. The only picture/s that serve as a good reference will be posted.

Bill

Ebay Pictures Empty Copyright?

Post by Bill Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:51 am

Dale, this has come up on other sites, and I am not sure about the copyright issues around taking images from auctions, etc?
    I know that some forums have been threatened with legal action about taking images without permission. Is this something to be considered?
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:09 pm

Hello Bill....

I have to concur with Dale.... Once you have listed something on ebay and posted a picture you have a copyrite for the description and the photo and can be banned from ebay if you use anyone elses pictures or description.....

Mike
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:45 pm

Sorry Mike, could you clarify. I think I was saying the same thing as you have indicated? If I take an image from an ebay listing, I am taking that person's intellectual property. Permission is needed to do so.
    Many people copy images from ebay for personal reference use, and there is no problem in doing so. However, using them on another forum without permission may be a violation of copyright.
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:20 pm

qsamike wrote:Hello Bill....

I have to concur with Dale.... Once you have listed something on ebay and posted a picture you have a copyrite for the description and the photo and can be banned from ebay if you use anyone elses pictures or description.....

Mike

Sorry it should have read......

Hello Dale....

I have to concur with Bill.... Once you have listed something on ebay and posted a picture you have a copyrite for the description and the photo and can be banned from ebay if you use anyone elses pictures or description.....

Mike

Yes if you use it for yourself how would they know but if you post it to another site and it is seen by the originator then I understand that you would have problems......

Mike
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:28 pm

Thanks for the clarification Mike.
    Dale, This is a controversial area. Because the internet is without boundaries people think that they can do a lot of things with impunity. But if someone takes notice... could be a problem.
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:30 pm

Here is what ebay has listed as their policy......

Policy overview
    eBay members are not allowed to use images—including photos and other pictures—or text they didn't create themselves. Exceptions to this policy would be if they are authorized to do so by the owner, its agent, or the law.

You can use images and text descriptions from the eBay product catalog in your listings without violating this policy. The product catalog may include, at our discretion, select seller-generated images or photos from seller listings. Unless the seller opts out of this program, the inclusion of such seller-generated photos in the eBay product catalog and the use of catalog content by eBay sellers in their eBay listings is authorized under the User Agreement .

If you choose not to use photos or product descriptions from eBay’s product catalog, the best way to make sure you follow our policies is to take your own photos and write your own descriptions. This will help you avoid the risks of using someone else’s pictures or text, and you won’t need to worry about getting permission from any third parties.

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including restrictions of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

What are the guidelines?
    If you're not using pictures or text from the eBay product catalog, you should use your own when creating a listing. If you're using someone else’s photos and text, make sure you're authorized to do so.

There is more if you wish to read it at:...............

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mike
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:19 pm

I have had numerous conversations with other ebay members and help center employees about this and they all agreed that using pictures in a non-profit basis, as a reference, or an example for discussion, off the ebay site is not generally followed through with any reprimands whatsoever or considered a malicious act. Many people do so with no problems as long as these simple guidelines are followed. Ioffer, Kijiji, Buy/Sell.com, etc. all have said the same general thing.

If the images are used by a seller on ebay, or another auction site, knowing full well that the images are not his own, then policy will take effect. The policy stated is for general use of the ebay site, not for the public domain. If the owner of the sold image wishes to demand the images be taken down, then thats another story, but out of ebay's hands. I have had my auction images show up on discussion forums and I have no problem with it...as long as they are not used for malicious intent.

Also, a good majority of images I keep for reference do have the permission of the seller. Some people don't even answer my request, Most really don't care. As long as you don't claim the image as your own or violate ebays policy in doing so, issues about this never seem to take effect.

The thing I am trying to avoid here are endless posts with broken links to ebay sales long gone and forgotten. Other forums have masses of these, and in my opinion, are very annoying and generally useless as serving as a reference.

But, since this seems to be an important issue with the membership, I then retract my offer to retrieve pictures for reference purposes.

Interesting discussion though.

Regards
    Dale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:56 pm