Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

An Interesting Find - 13th Battalion C.E.F. - Casualty

qsamike
    qsamike

An Interesting Find - 13th Battalion C.E.F. - Casualty Empty An Interesting Find - 13th Battalion C.E.F. - Casualty

Post by qsamike Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:39 pm

Good Evening Everyone.....

This weekend had been one of the best that I have ever done on the Garage Sale Circuit as stated in a previous thread about the aerial camera..... Here is the WW1 Photograph.......

A very large colourized photograph of a member of either the 13th or 42nd Battalion CEF going by the cap badge and the seller saying that Grandad served in the Canadian Army in WW1......

I got the photograph home and took a very close look at it, written very faintly in pencil on the reverse is the name Robert Carric..... I tried to look up that name and found nothing that would match and then I added a “k” to the end “Carrick”.....

All the bells and whistles then went off......

24062 Sergeant Robert Lawson Carrick, 13th Battalion C.E.F.

Here are his attestation papers a bit hard to read.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and here is his CWGC notification, he was killed or died on April 26th, 1915.....

Battle of St. Julien????? or as a result of gas from Battle of Gravenstafel ????? but anyway the Second Battle of Ypres.....

The size of the photograph is 17 Inches by 21 1/2 Inches so quite large ......

Mike

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

An Interesting Find - 13th Battalion C.E.F. - Casualty Empty Re: An Interesting Find - 13th Battalion C.E.F. - Casualty

Post by pylon1357 Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:37 am

That is an awesome find. I have never been able to fathom why families part with items like this. It is part of their history.

But if families never parted with ancestors items, we would all be collecting dust mites.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:20 am