Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

Pte. Joseph Leonard Schurr, Saskatchewan Regiment WWI

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Pte. Joseph Leonard Schurr, Saskatchewan Regiment WWI  Empty Pte. Joseph Leonard Schurr, Saskatchewan Regiment WWI

Post by pylon1357 Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:39 am

One of my resent acquisitions is this single British War Medal named to 3354466 PTE J L SCHURR S.R.

He is one of the many men who were drafted under the Military Service Act 1917.

I had applied to view his service records at the LAC, however I was advised by their staff that the file was unavailable due to the digitization project underway at the LAC.

This single medal came with a "Particulars of Service" short letter from the Public Archives of Canada, highlighting his Service with the Canadian Expeditionary Force. The letter is dated June 11, 1975. I recall seeing copies of these letters in some Service Records I have viewed, but to the best of my recollection, this is the first original I have to go with a medal.

My particular interest in this medal was purely owing to the Regiment, and not the man. I am currently working on obtaining an example of the British War Medal issued to each of the 10 Provincial Battalions. This Medal represents the Saskatchewan Regiment, within my collection.

I found the dates interesting.  Joseph Schurr reported and signed his enlistment (draft) papers on July 6, 1918 (my wife's' birth date is July 6)

What really stuck me as interesting was the date he embarked for Britain, September 10, 1918. 1 month and 1 day prior to the formal armistice.  I found it odd that with all the men already in the U.K., the Government would send more over, knowing the end of hostilities was in sight.

Joseph Died on November 8, 1961. He is buried in Woodland Cemetery, Saskatoon Saskatchewan.

Pte. Joseph Leonard Schurr, Saskatchewan Regiment WWI  Schurr10
    Pte. Joseph Leonard Schurr, Saskatchewan Regiment WWI  Schurr11

Pte. Joseph Leonard Schurr, Saskatchewan Regiment WWI  Schurr12

He returned to Canada June 17, 1919 and was discharged 4 days later, on the 21st of June 1919.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am