Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

New Weapons System

edstorey
    edstorey

New Weapons System Empty New Weapons System

Post by edstorey Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:45 pm

I know that the Canadian Army trialed new weapons systems in the 1960s and that some of these were Canadian designs. I am not familiar with this weapons system, does anyone know what it was? Was it ever adapted?

New Weapons System PlateSeventeen_zps4032e908
    Ian B
    Ian B

New Weapons System Empty Re: New Weapons System

Post by Ian B Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:52 am

Good day Ed,

Looks like a mock-up of a Gatling gun. However, the design looks the one from the 1860's, complete with the hand crank and a loose ammunition bin on top. If I remember rightly, 'round about this time the Yanks were getting into designing electrically driven Gatlings as they became immersed in Vietnam.

Don't know if Canadians had a hand in their designs, however, as I recall, Canadians had a hand in designing some of the APC's that the Americans produced, so anything is possible.

Do you have the full document/publication that it came out of? That might give a better clue.

On the other hand, seeing as how their Canadian Guards Sergeants, maybe it's a rig for doing maintenance on their bearskins. Snicker, snicker!

Ian (ex-RCR)

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 am