Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

North Shore - New Brunswick title wanted - British

goat

North Shore - New Brunswick title wanted - British Empty North Shore - New Brunswick title wanted - British

Post by goat Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:28 pm

I am looking to acquire one of these, can anyone help? Thanks- Rob
    http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30071980
    Bill
    Bill

North Shore - New Brunswick title wanted - British Empty Re: North Shore - New Brunswick title wanted - British

Post by Bill Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Just curious. Why do you want that particular pattern? Evidence suggests that pattern was not issued, and was likely private purchase. The quality is terrible and would not likely have passed warrant officer inspection.
    goat

North Shore - New Brunswick title wanted - British Empty Re: North Shore - New Brunswick title wanted - British

Post by goat Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:49 am

Hi, thanks for the questions. I am eager to understand what the evidence is that it was not issued, is there a source for this info? It is an ugly thing, I will grant that. I will add that I would also be interested in the more common style of war-time title (printed especially) as well, a pair would be even better. Any information is appreciated, thanks very much-

Rob
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:33 am

Hello Rob, The evidence is more a lack of evidence. I have not seen any images of the North Shore's with this title in wear. Their wartime title was the large arc in red on blue. The quality of the title would not have passed inspection by either CMHQ or by the Master General of the Ordnance (or his delegates) or the Inspection Board of the United Kingdom and Canada. It was not made in the approved pattern, with a completely different shape. The embroidery is uneven and the title is very poorly cut. This was just not acceptable when contracts were let. There are lot of this type of title around for various regiments and I have not found approvals for anything like them after going through thousands of pages of documents at LAC and DHH.
    Pm sent re titles.
    goat

Post by goat Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:11 pm

Thanks all, have my answers, remove topic if desired.
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:35 pm

I agree with you Bill, all the titles that I have ever seen and the one in my collection the same as the one in the link show no signs of ever being sewn on a uniform.

They remind me of the odd shaped (and sometimes robins egg blue) 48th Highlanders shoulder flash. Never seen in period pictures, never see an example that has been sewn on a uniform and doubtful the regiment would have accepted it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am