Two Approaches

Two Approaches

Post by edstorey on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:14 am

I have always found it to be interesting to two how two nations approach the same problem when it comes to manufacturing equipment and materiel.   Here is a simple comparison between two rather mundane binocular cases.

The amount of material and work that was involved in making the German case is astonishing when compared to the Canadian example.

Re: Two Approaches

Post by Jonhno on Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:16 pm

interesting what material was used, both have inherent problems, bakelite being fragile and web holds water.  The germans as you probably know used leather and also pressed paper cases too.

I think the bakelite case is a better solution if the material had been improved.

Post by Wgrenadier on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:24 pm

I believe the web design is superior, since it could be incorporated into a modular set of webbing along with other kit, rather than adding yet another shoulder strap to the soldier's load and compressing the chest (or being slid onto a belt and pulling it down). The addition of side buckles simply added to its versatility.

Although I can't tell from looking, I would guess that the web version is lighter as well..

Thanks for posting the great picture Ed!

Post by Infanteer on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:38 pm

Actually the German case could be added to a belt or slung with a strap, just as versatile as the web case.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:58 am

Current date/time is Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:58 am