Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Metal Collar Ranks

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Metal Collar Ranks Empty Metal Collar Ranks

Post by pylon1357 Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:23 am

Not sure where exactly to put these, as most were acquired back in about 81 and the last 3 a couple of weeks ago. LOL

I thought I would share these here, as I think they make a rather nice little display. My photography skills still suck, but I working on it. My lovely wife had allowed me to remount these and display them when done. Bless her heart.

Metal Collar Ranks Collar10

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    edstorey
    edstorey

Metal Collar Ranks Empty Metal CF Collar Ranks

Post by edstorey Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:52 am

Cliff:

Nice collection although I hate to tell you this but you have them out of order.   After Chief Warrant Officer comes Command Chief Warrant Officer (laurels underneath), followed by Formation Chief Warrant Officer (Tri-service underneath) then Canadian Forces Chief Warrant Officer (surround of maple leaves).

As well you may be interested to know that you are missing a few such as: Trained Private (Private hook with imposed maple leaf), first type of Master Corporal (Corporal hooks with imposed maple leaf), first type Sergeant (without maple leaf), Base Chief Warrant Officer (crossed swords underneath) and Army Chief Warrant Officer (crossed swords with imposed maple leaf underneath).

Happy hunting!

ED

Here is an example the Army Chief Warrant Officer collar rank.

Metal Collar Ranks ArmyChiefWarrantOfficer-metalWMSCULLY2005-frontcopy_zps87091df6
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Metal Collar Ranks Empty Re: Metal Collar Ranks

Post by pylon1357 Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:24 am

Not a problem at all Ed, I appreciate the help. I seem to recall the Private with superimposed maple leaf, and the Sergeant without maple leaf, but thought I was mistaken. I didn't know about the others. Time to keep an eye out and see what I can come up with.

Going to need a bigger card. LOL

Also thanks for the correction in the order.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    ddaydodger
    ddaydodger

Post by ddaydodger Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:13 pm

"As well you may be interested to know that you are missing a few such as: Trained Private (Private hook with imposed maple leaf), first type of Master Corporal (Corporal hooks with imposed maple leaf), first type Sergeant (without maple leaf), Base Chief Warrant Officer (crossed swords underneath) and Army Chief Warrant Officer (crossed swords with imposed maple leaf underneath)."

Cpl hooks with imposed maple leaf were for Corporal, not Master Corporal, at the same time the maple leaf was removed from private rank, to make it a single hook. They were changed due to the confusion this caused, especially at a distance. By the time metal collar rank came out (about 1974), Sgts with maple leaf were standard, you will not find CF rank for Sgt outside of the early trial stages, in cloth and in old gold, but not metal.

Warrant Officer can be found in 2 sizes, you have the small ones, officially replaced with a larger back piece again around 74, but can still be seen on uniforms. There are also separate crossed swords for Base Chief, worn under the coat of arms, and newer single piece ones.

There are 3 styles of mounting, short shank pins, still in service for shirts and overcoat, and obsolete long shank pins for greatcoat, and clutch pins for the woman's broadcloth shirt.
    cmpman
    cmpman

Post by cmpman Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:10 pm

Wasn't the corporal chevrons with the maple leaf imposed in the upper chevron the rank of "Corporal Career status"? I recall seeing this on an old chart in the early 70s.
    ddaydodger
    ddaydodger

Post by ddaydodger Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:38 am

Not for corporal, they were considered career status by nature of their rank. Pte level 4 (Career Status), one chevon with leaf, Pte Level 4, one chevron only.
    ref CFHQ Instruction CP 3/70, 03 Apr 70,Provisional Dress policy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:17 am