Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+2
servicepub
edstorey
6 posters

A. & S. H. of C. (P.L.) Pith Helmet

ypres
    ypres

A. & S. H. of C. (P.L.) Pith Helmet Empty A. & S. H. of C. (P.L.) Pith Helmet

Post by ypres Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:25 pm

This helmet was worn in Jamaica while the Argyles were on Garrison duty during 1940-41. Notice it is British made but Canadian issue.

Ypres

Last edited by ypres on Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
    Bill
    Bill

A. & S. H. of C. (P.L.) Pith Helmet Empty Re: A. & S. H. of C. (P.L.) Pith Helmet

Post by Bill Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:29 am

A swatch of the regimental tartan was used for the pugaree patch, but was it supposed to be a certain part of the tartan?
    ypres
    ypres

A. & S. H. of C. (P.L.) Pith Helmet Empty Re: A. & S. H. of C. (P.L.) Pith Helmet

Post by ypres Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:15 am

Bill,

That is exactly right. The type of tartan has a unique way in which it needed to be cut either for the pagris or as a badge backing. Brian L Davis has a nice chart explaining this in his book on page 119. This is for British units but I would think Canadian units would have followed suit to a certain extent. There may be some unit uniqueness here as well. I believe the 16th and 17th Battalions wore the same tartan in WWI but cut the tartan differently for badge backings ?? As a personal observation, it seems that many of the cuts would be done to show either St George's or St Andrew's cross.

Ypres
    edstorey
    edstorey

A. & S. H. of C. (P.L.) Pith Helmet Empty Tartan Backing

Post by edstorey Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:58 am

Here are images of a couple of examples which illustrate how tartan backing is supplied by their respective Regiments.   Note the alignment of the tartan.

A. & S. H. of C. (P.L.) Pith Helmet MacGregorTartan-EssexandKentScottishcopy_zpsa75e2ab7

A. & S. H. of C. (P.L.) Pith Helmet GovernmentTartan-LanarkandRenfrewScottishcopy_zps20bca173
    servicepub
    servicepub
    In Memoriam

Post by servicepub Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Is the helmet for sale?
    Clive
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:31 pm

Sorry, it is not. I obtained this directly from the vet who owned it in the late 70's. He worked with my father. It has some sentimental value for me!

Ypres
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:41 am

Uh, aluminum foil to keep the aliens away? Shocked
    Haplo
    Haplo

Post by Haplo Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:52 am

More against heat.
    These types of helmets have aluninium foil on the inside.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:15 am

Sorry Sipke, that was a joke. There was a group who believed tin foil prevents mind theft. A. & S. H. of C. (P.L.) Pith Helmet 56707005_zpsjjiu1urn
    Haplo
    Haplo

Post by Haplo Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:55 am

Righttt........scratch
    Never heard of that....
    Some strange people live on this globe.Shocked
    Keeps you smiling though. Very Happy
    Wgrenadier
    Wgrenadier

Post by Wgrenadier Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:24 pm

Wow! that is a beautiful helmet Ypres! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

A. & S. H. of C. (P.L.) Pith Helmet Ashoc-11

I had no idea the triple-fold economy Woleseley was around that early (is it dated 1939?). The khaki wouldn't have matched the greenish Canadian KD, though I don't think I've ever seen any sun helmet that would...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:05 am