Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle

swamprat_12
    swamprat_12

Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle  Empty Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle

Post by swamprat_12 Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:32 pm

A recentish acquisition of mine is a Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle of mine, one J G Litster.

He was active with the local militia prior to WW2 and went overseas with the local artillery battery as a Lt. he ended up bouncing back and forth between 1st Medium and 5th Medium during the war according to the service file he went through Italy and NW Europe, ending the war as a major and retiring in Sept. 45.

Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle  <a href=Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle  IMG_2994_zpswhjndy7c" />

The tunic itself when I first got it only had the Arty formation patch and the CVSM
    the buttons, shoulder titles, rank and collars were all added by myself.

Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle  <a href=Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle  IMG_2996_zpsatczn50s" />

^ Label in the tunic

Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle  <a href=Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle  IMG_4886_zps1znlmuky" />

Trousers label

Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle  <a href=Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle  J%20G%20litster%20cpt%205th%20med%20england%2041_zpsnz0bx0zp" />

photo of said great uncle with 5th Med.

edstorey
    edstorey

Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle  Empty Service Dress Jacket

Post by edstorey Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:58 am

A very nice Service Dress Jacket, you are lucky that it still retains all of the insignia.
    48th
    48th

Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle  Empty Re: Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle

Post by 48th Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:57 pm

Nice uniform, glad it is still in the family. Thanks for posting.
    matthewsq
    matthewsq

Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle  Empty Re: Service Dress tunic and trousers named to a Great Uncle

Post by matthewsq Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:51 pm

Hey, great item! If I remember correctly, my grandfather was in the 5th medium battery. Any chance your man was from Prince Edward Island?

swamprat_12
    swamprat_12

Post by swamprat_12 Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:07 pm

matthewsq wrote:Hey, great item! If I remember correctly, my grandfather was in the 5th medium battery. Any chance your man was from Prince Edward Island?

Thanks Matthew it is indeed a great item especially one that seems to fit myself as if it was tailored. (tall skinny lads run in the family!)

Sadly no, he was a Manitobian

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:55 am