Ottaw show

Canadian Corporal

Ottaw show

Post by Canadian Corporal on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:21 am

Hello everyone. On Saturday I went to the Ottawa show looking for EME related items and Webbing. I have inclosed a picture the the EME items I acquired. One item is a bit of a mystery. On the right side is a Private rank off of a combat shirt but it has a crown above it, a bit like the Master corporals rank. Is this a Lance corporal rank or something else? When I was in cadets a long time ago, at one point I was a Lance corporal but I don't remember the exact configuration of the badge. Anyone care to comment on this? Thanks in advance.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ian B

Re: Ottaw show

Post by Ian B on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:45 am

Good day Corp.  Others may be able to quote chapter and verse on this, but I believe this was the initial design for the Private rank right after Unification in '69.  The rank of Lance Corporal was done away with, and the design of the Corporal rank was like the Pte. rank with the addition of two small stripes to either side of the leaf and directly above the full stripe.  I think it all changed when the appointment of "Master Corporal" was started in response to the creation of the "Hellyer Corporal", someone who was promoted to Corporal automatically after five years of service.  The Master Corporal of the CF replace the Corporal of the Pre-Unification Army as the first rung up the leadership ladder (after the RSM in the old Army, the Corporal WAS God!)

So whether this design was just a trial or the initial issue that was changed later, I cannot say.  But they do pop up at badge shows every now and again.

Joe D

Post by Joe D on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:24 pm

That was a fairly short-lived level in between Private and Corporal. There was also a Corporal's badge with a maple leaf inset
    in the stripes, as well as Master Corporal with the leaf above the stripe... confusion reigned supreme..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Check out the link for illustrations.

Joe

Ian B

Early CF Corporal Rank

Post by Ian B on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:36 pm

The link in Joe's post beat me to the punch. Here are examples of the Corporal rank in CF and Combat versions from my spares box.

Ian

Canadian Corporal

Post by Canadian Corporal on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:08 pm

Wow, guys. Thanks for the info. I will go to sleep tonight a bit wiser!

edstorey

Early CF Rank Insignia

Post by edstorey on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:21 pm

There were also distinctive CF Female rank from this era.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:07 pm

Current date/time is Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:07 pm