RCAF Squadron patches

Goldenhawk

RCAF Squadron patches

Post by Goldenhawk on Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:52 pm

Here are some more examples of what I collect. These patches were worn on the flight suit and/or jacket of the pilot (aircrew) who flew the jets from the post-war RCAF era. They were of high quality and normally constructed of multi-layers of felt or high quality cotton material. Many of these patches were made by Crest Craft of Saskatoon. Others were made in-theatre in France/Germany, etc. Unlike today where most patches have velcro attached, these patches were sewn directly on to the flight suits.

As a historian I also like to show the patches being worn in the period. I have therefore created a two-part image which, on the left depicts the patch in my collection while on the right, shows the patch in actual wear.

Here is the first one; a CF104 Qualification patch normally worn on the right breast pocket. Sometimes you see this one sewn on to the arm but only in rare circumstances due to the large 5 inch diameter size. This patch came into being in 1965 with the change of the Canadian flag. The earlier version of this patch (which I will show later) was made in blue, yellow and green.

Here is CF104 pilot F/L Chet Randall.

Goldenhawk

Re: RCAF Squadron patches

Post by Goldenhawk on Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:56 pm

Here is the earlier version of this patch, worn from about 1963 to 1965. Here is CF104 pilot F/L "Gin" Smith of 434 (Bluenose) Squadron.

Goldenhawk

Post by Goldenhawk on Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:59 pm

Here is CF100 pilot S/L Stan Nichols of 440 (Bat) Squadron.

Goldenhawk

Post by Goldenhawk on Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:06 pm

From an RCAF Flight Safety magazine.

On the night of 28 July 1965, Flight Lieutenant Barnes was Captain of a CF-104 dual aircraft which experienced a serious in-flight engine malfunction near the city of Munich. At a height of 500 feet, the engine nozzle area went to the full open position because of material failure which resulted in a drastic reduction of engine power. Flight Lieutenant Barnes immediately instituted the authorized emergency procedure to release the nozzle, but to no avail. He was now in the unenviable position of having to decide whether to remain with the aircraft which lacked sufficient power to maintain height, or to abandon the aircraft which almost certainly would have crashed into the city of Munich. Electing to remain with the aircraft, Flight Lieutenant Barnes ordered the second pilot to radio the international distress call. A radar control agency replied giving directions to a suitable aerodrome but to comply would have placed the aircraft over the centre of Munich. Electing to ignore these instructions, Flight Lieutenant Barnes continues his heading away from the centre of Munich when he received directions from another radar agency for an alternative aerodrome. Accepting these instructions he commenced an approach to Furstenfeldbruck aerodrome. This aerodrome, close to Munich, had no approach lighting and the runway lights were dimmed because of emergency power operation. Notwithstanding these difficulties he was able to complete the approach and safely land the aircraft. This act of cool courage in a critical situation averted what cold have been an catastrophe involving considerable loss of life.

Here is CF104 pilot F/L Bill Barnes wearing his 444 (Cobra) Squadron patch. This patch actually pre-dates the CF104 and was primarily used in the F-86 Sabre period.

37patt

Post by 37patt on Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:47 pm

I may not collect air force stuff but those are really cool to see. I particularly like the photos showing the patch in use.
    In my mind it's a form of provenance for the item, as collectors of the Afghanistan mission know, it can be very difficult to find photographic evidence of theatre use for many of the unit badges that were made up over the years.

qsamike

Post by qsamike on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:07 am

It is to bad that you did not join about 8 months ago.....   Did an estate evaluation for sale of an original member and at one time CO of the Goldenhawks......   Boxes full of programs, photos, patches, trophies, uniforms, books and the best was a model of a GH Saber with a wingspan of 7 feet that showed up in the Stampede Parade occasionally and a lot lot more......  The family kept One Uniform, One Flight Suit and his medals.......  

I am sure that there would have been something there that you would have liked.....

Mike

qsamike

Post by qsamike on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:10 pm

Found a picture from the sale.......

Mounted on wood......

Mike

48th

Post by 48th on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:34 pm

Those are amazing patches. I will be keeping my eyes open for them now that I have seen them and know more about them.

Goldenhawk

Post by Goldenhawk on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:23 pm

qsamike wrote:It is to bad that you did not join about 8 months ago.....   Did an estate evaluation for sale of an original member and at one time CO of the Goldenhawks......   Boxes full of programs, photos, patches, trophies, uniforms, books and the best was a model of a GH Saber with a wingspan of 7 feet that showed up in the Stampede Parade occasionally and a lot lot more......  The family kept One Uniform, One Flight Suit and his medals.......  

I am sure that there would have been something there that you would have liked.....

Mike

Mike,

Yes, I certainly do wish that I had joined and gotten to know you back then. Sounds like a great grouping of GH items. As you can see by my username and avatar, the "Hawks" are one of my favourite subjects. I remember seeing them back in 1962 and '63 at airshows at RCAF Stn Borden...those golden jets against an azure blue sky...wow!

Are there any of those items that you evaluated still around for sale? May I ask who it was; W/C Easton, Allen or Hatton?

Thanks,
    Darryl

barriefield-brian

Post by barriefield-brian on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:21 pm

Would have likes to have seen those items. I remember when I was a kid the Golden Hawks went right over our village low enough to count the rivets. Cheers Brian

qsamike

Post by qsamike on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:36 pm

Goldenhawk wrote:
    qsamike wrote:It is to bad that you did not join about 8 months ago.....   Did an estate evaluation for sale of an original member and at one time CO of the Goldenhawks......   Boxes full of programs, photos, patches, trophies, uniforms, books and the best was a model of a GH Saber with a wingspan of 7 feet that showed up in the Stampede Parade occasionally and a lot lot more......  The family kept One Uniform, One Flight Suit and his medals.......  

Mike

Mike,

Yes, I certainly do wish that I had joined and gotten to know you back then. Sounds like a great grouping of GH items. As you can see by my username and avatar, the "Hawks" are one of my favourite subjects. I remember seeing them back in 1962 and '63 at airshows at RCAF Stn Borden...those golden jets against an azure blue sky...wow!

Are there any of those items that you evaluated still around for sale? May I ask who it was; W/C Easton, Allen or Hatton?

Thanks,
    Darryl

Hi Darryl.....

If this old memory serves me right the name was Allen...... A lot of or most of the items were donated to the R.C.A.F. section of the Military Museum here in Calgary......

Mike

Goldenhawk

Post by Goldenhawk on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:48 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the information. Glad to hear that the items went to a Museum for all to see.

Cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:16 pm

Current date/time is Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:16 pm