Marking on groundsheet / rain cape

Infanteer

Marking on groundsheet / rain cape

Post by Infanteer on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:39 pm

A nice groundsheet was donated to the LER museum recently which has a marking that I have not encountered before. I'm looking for info on the stamp "seconds". Does it indicate an item that is substandard?

ypres

Re: Marking on groundsheet / rain cape

Post by ypres on Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:56 pm

Was there are C arrow or broad arrow on the groundsheet ? If not, the assumption that the "seconds" stamp could mean inferior would seem to make sense.

Ypres

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:03 pm

I did not see the C broad arrow. Are you suggesting that it may have been sold on the civilian market?

Wgrenadier

Post by Wgrenadier on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:03 pm

I'm not familiar with this maker either, but I'm willing to guess that the "R" stands for rubber, as I have seen many rubber companies involved in the production of webbing/canvas items. Also, it's difficult to say if it is Canadian or Commonwealth without the arrow.

Great find overall!

ypres

Post by ypres on Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:55 pm

Infanteer wrote:I did not see the C broad arrow. Are you suggesting that it may have been sold on the civilian market?

I would think without the arrow marking it would not be military issue  .... It may have been sold to the civilian market or perhaps issued to CD personnel ? Just a thought ? I know in England helmets that did not meet standard had different holes punched in the brim to denote their level of quality. These I believe were issued to ARP and home guard units.

Ypres

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:37 am

Current date/time is Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:37 am