Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges

Ian B
    Ian B

Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Empty Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges

Post by Ian B Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:18 pm

Good day gents,

After plenty of study, I'm still not 100% sure of identification of these five Cdn Army para quals.  So, I'm asking the more knowledgeable members to confirm or deny my suppositions.  All except one have been in my collection for years, but I only recently acquired copies of Ken Joyce's books, "Into The Maelstrom" and "Jump Wings".  I want to get them in the right chronological order in my display.  There are still questions between what I have and what I see in the books.

I'll give a brief description and which type I think it is.  Attached are front and back shots of each one.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Flat.  Dark green wool, black cotton back.  Believe it is a Type 2 (maybe 3?).

Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Dscf0113

Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Dscf0114

Padded.  Dark green wool, white cotton back which is paper covered.  Believe it is a Type 7.

Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Dscf0111

Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Dscf0112

Padded.  Dark green wool, cotton covered in orange paint(?) which is covered by paper.  Unsure, Type 8 or which??

Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Dscf0115

Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Dscf0110

Flat.  Dark green wool, black cotton back.  Believe it is Type 8.

Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Dscf0117

Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Dscf0116

Flat.  Dark green wool with stiffened (starch?) black cotton back.  Believe it is Type 11 (but the leaf shape is throwing me).

Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Dscf0118

Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Dscf0119
    Ian B
    Ian B

Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Empty Bumping it up

Post by Ian B Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:47 pm

Nobody? Plenty of views, but no responses. Bringing this to the fore again in the hopes someone might have missed it the first time around. Once again, asking if my ident of the above Canadian para quals is correct in terms of the type (to help me put them in chronological order in my display).

Ian
    ypres
    ypres

Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Empty Re: Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges

Post by ypres Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:21 pm

These things are like looking at Ink Blots. You start to see things that are not there. I have "Into the Maelstrom" and own a few wings myself. I don't think any of the ones you have pictures are type 2 or 3. In my opinion the feathers in the wings are too thick.

All the best,

Ypres
    Bill
    Bill

Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Empty Re: Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges

Post by Bill Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:02 am

I agree with Rick. I have over 15 different Cdn parachute qualification wings, and when I want to get anal I try to classify them. Ken's reference is great, but when trying to compare that to the examples in hand the details are the devil's. (to paraphrase)
    (I spent about half an hour comparing your examples, and my observations were at odds with yours. Then I would go back and again, reclassified a couple. And then again...)
    Ian B
    Ian B

Post by Ian B Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:16 am

Thanks guys. I'll brainstorm it for a little bit longer and then put them back in the display in the order I come up with.....and then sit back and wait for someone to tell me I'm flippin' well out in left field!!

Ian
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:18 am

I can add that the scalloped wings are Type 11.
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:57 pm

Glad I am not the only one. I have a couple books on the subject of 1st Can Para and looked at a few other books and still have great difficulty determining what type of wing is what.

I normally stay away from para items do to the price and plethora of fakes.
    Ian B
    Ian B

Post by Ian B Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:00 pm

Thanks Bill, one down, four to go. As I mentioned, it was the Maple leaf that threw me on the last one. The leaf on mine looks more realistic while the Type 11 in Ken's book looks more like the leaf on my first example. I guess this might be put down to different manufacturers.

.....OK, back to the books (sigh!). Let's all stay safe and have fun!!

Cheers,

Ian
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:33 pm

Just to add to the confusion. I saw a lot from an RCR Korea Vet at a show. There were a dozen wings in the lot. They looked very nice. I turned one over and it had a makers label on the back "Made in the Philippines". If the lot would have been cheaper I would have picked it up just for that wing. I'll call it a "Type 18"   Wink ........ From my experience, when you see one that's good it jumps out at you.

Ypres
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:17 pm

Ian,

I took another look at these. I think the first may be a type 9. I now believe the 3rd wing pictured is a type 2 wing. It looks very much like the bottom wing on pg17 of Joyce's Jump Wings book.

Ypres
    Ian B
    Ian B

Post by Ian B Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:26 am

Ypres, thanks for the input.  More study required.  Agree with you about looking at them too long.  Head starts spinning and eyes go crossed.  What fun!  

You want to collect military badges, did you say?  hahaha

Ian
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:26 pm

Ian,

Here are a few of my wings .... up for the challenge?

Ypres

Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Img_2016
    Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Img_2012
    Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Img_2013
    Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Img_2011
    Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Img_2014
    Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Img_2010
    Request for help with Cdn. Army para. qual. badges Img_2015

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm