Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+2
48th
pylon1357
6 posters

OK everyone, many of us were in attendance at the Ottawa show today. How about sharing your additions.

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

OK everyone, many of us were in attendance at the Ottawa show today. How about sharing your additions. Empty OK everyone, many of us were in attendance at the Ottawa show today. How about sharing your additions.

Post by pylon1357 Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:01 pm

Well today was almost a NOT for me, but I put on my big boy pants and escaped the house. I didn't have extremely high hopes for today, but rather went in hunting a couple of smalls (which I managed). I also managed to add 5 more single BWMs to my CEF collection. The singles are as follows;

89th Canadian Infantry Battalion.                                                                                                                                                                                                             183072 PTE. J. EDWARDS. 89-CAN.INF.                                                                                                                                                                                              Original member enlisted November 8, 1915.

74th Canadian Infantry Battalion.                                                                                                                                                                                                      135204 PTE. J. OGILTRE. 74-CAN.INF.                                                                                                                                                                                                  Original member enlisted July 29 1915.

99th Canadian Infantry Battalion.                                                                                                                                                                                                           214290 PTE. A.Z. FORTIER. 99-CAN.INF.                                                                                                                                                                                             Original member enlisted April 17 1916.

84th Canadian Infantry Battalion.                                                                                                                                                                                                          163015 A.SJT. J. HALL. 84-CAN.INF.                                                                                                                                                                                                    Original member enlisted September 6 1915.

242nd Canadian Infantry Battalion.                                                                                                                                                                                                    1048761 PTE. E. KNIGHT. 242-CAN.INF.                                                                                                                                                                                          Original member enlisted September 8 1916

Also of note are the 2 Mobile Command badges and Training Command Brest Badge I needed for  different displays, and the 2 different Armoured Corps cap badges. One in white metal, the other Brass with white metal overlay. I picked up the MWO badge "just because". The little 180th badge is a supporters badge with the word BOOSTER on it. Pretty cool I think. These items are photographed (poorly I might add) using the UN cover I picked up from Ed. Also I included a quick picture of the 1976 dated shirt that arrived in the post on Friday.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Alright, who is next... I showed you mine, now it is your turn to show off. I know there was some nice items picked up today. When I get a little more time. I will post separately of the items that have come in to my collection the last few weeks, now that it all arrived.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    48th
    48th

OK everyone, many of us were in attendance at the Ottawa show today. How about sharing your additions. Empty Re: OK everyone, many of us were in attendance at the Ottawa show today. How about sharing your additions.

Post by 48th Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:04 pm

Great haul Cliff!
    Bill
    Bill

OK everyone, many of us were in attendance at the Ottawa show today. How about sharing your additions. Empty Re: OK everyone, many of us were in attendance at the Ottawa show today. How about sharing your additions.

Post by Bill Mon May 02, 2016 5:49 am

Nice to chat with a lot of friends and fellow collectors at Ottawa on Saturday. Still sorting the things I acquired. I had a good show, but there was a bit of grumbling about a poor show around the floor. Perhaps the fantastic weather on Saturday hit the attendance? Or is there a more serious concern? A decline in the number of collectors? Are militaria collectibles overpriced? Demographics of the show was pretty grey, or thinned on top.
    Canadian Corporal
    Canadian Corporal

Post by Canadian Corporal Mon May 02, 2016 7:09 am

Unfortunately I couldn't make it this year. But, if any one is interested there is a show here in Montreal in Longueil, this Saturday the 7th. I believe it is organized by the Lower Canada Arms collectors association. Hey Cliff, looks like you did a pretty good haul! I like those early Corporal badges.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Mon May 02, 2016 7:53 am

Thanks guys, I am very pleased with my acquisitions this time. I never thought I could get 5 single BWMs at one show. I usually manage only 2 or so. I am also quite happy to have remembered I needed a couple of command badges, then find them at a very reasonable price. As for the early CPL ranks, I almost fell over when I saw them.

Honestly, I am mixed about this show outing. Lots of good people and friends for sure, that is always good. I did notice this time there was not the normal number of tire kickers, or looky loos. I don't think I saw anyone playing dress up, which is odd. I also noted much of the same over priced large items, but smalls seemed to be quite inexpensive.

I didn't see the the table with all the fake nazi stuff out of Pakistan this time around. This fact didn't bother me in the least.

One thing I do find odd is the date of the next show. November 12 2016. When I saw the show date, I questioned it and got a rather disgusted look from the head table. LOL

Tankermike
    Tankermike

Post by Tankermike Mon May 02, 2016 10:58 am

The Calgary Easter show had a good number of reenactors, including many CEF and some 'mericans as well, and in the past I have seen Italian, Japanese, etc.
    Myself I don't partake in the reenactor scene but I like the living history, good way to show off our history.
    Joe D

Post by Joe D Thu May 05, 2016 7:02 am

Well, a few things made it home with me from Ottawa..

Centennial Medal, just never picked one up previously, a Brit "The Cadet Services Medal", and an American WW1 victory medal because it had the
    "SOMME-OFFENSIVE" bar

A Naval Chaplain's shoulder board and a fairly battered Commodore's

A "Senior Appointment CWO" collar for my son who collects them and a '41 dated RCAF bayonet frog

and a few cloth workdress ship's badges...

Personally, although it may not bode well for the hobby, I really didn't mind the less crowded event.
    Last Longueuil show I went to was so crowded I had to go outside to change my mind
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Thu May 05, 2016 7:59 am

Joe D, you have some interesting finds there. I have noticed these Senior Appointment collars showing up a little more lately. I have a pair to each, along with the other ranks as well. I did manage a set a Cpl rank collars with the maple leaf superimposed on the chevron as opposed to over like I am accustom to seeing.

I am still hunting for the Sgt rank and Private ranks with the superimposed maple leaf. Of course I am NOT chasing the black or blue backed ones. I am quite content with the green ones.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm