Help identify a Sauwastika Marked/Painted Canadian MkII Helmet

ptesgaudet

Help identify a Sauwastika Marked/Painted Canadian MkII Helmet

Post by ptesgaudet on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi,

I've just found a MkII Canadian Helmet with a painted sauwastika on it. The helmet looks legit, with all markings and cie, looks unissued. But there's this inverted sawastika in bright red on the front.

Any idea if it's something related to wwII?

My first idea is that this is some post-war painting done by someone that didn't know what he was doing, but I might be wrong.

Also, it looks like someone tried to sand it down. Anyway, here's some pictures.

Thanks,

Last edited by ptesgaudet on Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

CampX

Re: Help identify a Sauwastika Marked/Painted Canadian MkII Helmet

Post by CampX on Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:22 am

I think someone just painted that on for whatever reason, as you can see it is backwards, not the type used by the Germans

Dean O
    Canada

Bill

Post by Bill on Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:42 am

The helmet is the soft steel Dept of Pensions & Health type. They were worn by firefighters, air raid precautions, police, etc. As Dean says, the addition is likely some not so creative addition, after service.

ptesgaudet

Post by ptesgaudet on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:22 pm

Thanks for the precision Bill.

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:43 am

What an odd thing to do to a helmet.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca

ypres

Post by ypres on Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:59 pm

pylon1357 wrote:What an odd thing to do to a helmet.

Probably done a few years after the war by kids playing around. To us this seems odd due to the value we place on these items. Back then they were sold as scrap and could be had for a nickel and were essentially worthless. My wife's mother used these lids as hanging flower pots. I was talking to a friend who's uncle made off with a German MP40 that was in a scrap pile at Stelco waiting to be melted down... he thought it was interesting and took it home.... I recall going to surplus stores in the mid 70's and seeing barrels of 1944 dated berets in mint condition. They wanted $2 for one and I thought it was too much to pay..... Times have changed.

Ypres

ptesgaudet

Post by ptesgaudet on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:39 pm

Here, in a ''punk'' store they have cnd mkIII helmets made into lamp. And it looks like they just made them. Some people doesn't know what those are and sometime find them in scrapyard or garage sale.

I found a cdn large pack in the basement of my girlfriend's parent, it was the grand-father fishing bag. :P

ypres wrote:
    pylon1357 wrote:What an odd thing to do to a helmet.

Probably done a few years after the war by kids playing around. To us this seems odd due to the value we place on these items. Back then they were sold as scrap and could be had for a nickel and were essentially worthless. My wife's mother used these lids as hanging flower pots. I was talking to a friend who's uncle made off with a German MP40 that was in a scrap pile at Stelco waiting to be melted down... he thought it was interesting and took it home.... I recall going to surplus stores in the mid 70's and seeing barrels of 1944 dated berets in mint condition. They wanted $2 for one and I thought it was too much to pay..... Times have changed.

Ypres

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:16 am

Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:16 am