Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+2
BAP
edstorey
6 posters

Dumb question

BAP
    BAP

Dumb question Empty Dumb question

Post by BAP Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:53 pm

It was typical to slide your beret under your combat shirt epaulet when it wasn't on your head (circa 1980-ish). It's been 'a few' years since I last did it and can't recalll...was it under the left or right epaulet?
    edstorey
    edstorey

Dumb question Empty Curious

Post by edstorey Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:21 pm

I'd be curious to know which unit authorized that.
    BAP
    BAP

Dumb question Empty Re: Dumb question

Post by BAP Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:47 pm

edstorey wrote:I'd be curious to know which unit authorized that.

I couldn't say whether it was authorized but it was wide spread in Toronto/Ontario militia units.
    edstorey
    edstorey

Dumb question Empty Widespread....

Post by edstorey Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:26 pm

Not in the two Ontario Militia units I belonged to, how sure are you that it was that 'wide spread'? The other question I have to ask is since the Combat Shirt pockets were quite voluminous, why would anyone tuck their headdress in an epaulet when it was possible to secure it quite nicely in a pocket?
    BAP
    BAP

Post by BAP Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:26 pm

edstorey wrote:Not in the two Ontario Militia units I belonged to, how sure are you that it was that 'wide spread'?   The other question I have to ask is since the Combat Shirt pockets were quite voluminous, why would anyone tuck their headdress in an epaulet when it was possible to secure it quite nicely in a pocket?

The two units I belonged to did it, as did the one (artillery) unit that I was seconded to. So did the rest of the units in both armouries I dealt with (plus those attending Meaford and Pet summer camps as well, but my recollections could be dim on that point). Of course those voluminous pockets you speak of held FNC1A1 magazines as they were intended to. That was what was in your pockets, right?
    muskey124
    muskey124

Post by muskey124 Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:21 am

when I was in the reserves as well as reg force, I always put my beret in my epaulet. A lot other personal did too, some senior NCO's frowned upon it. Me being left handed I always put my on the right side, but I have seen them on either side.
    Tankermike
    Tankermike

Post by Tankermike Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:29 am

In Western Canada most would put the beret in the right cargo shirt pocket, but when I went to CFB Borden at the CFSAL I noticed many did the epaulette thing, if you were right handed you would use the left epaulette.
    Canadian Corporal
    Canadian Corporal

Post by Canadian Corporal Thu May 03, 2018 6:26 am

Apparently putting your beret in a flap has been around for a while. I found a photo for soldiers eating a meal in the Kingston mess hall. In the picture shows soldiers with the beret in left and right shoulder flaps.

Dumb question Brooke10
    bubberstone
    bubberstone

Post by bubberstone Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:12 pm

This was extremely frowned upon when I served.

Not sure why but you were in for a blast if you were caught doing this.  If my foggy memory serves it had something to do with "surrendering" according to those that yelled.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:32 pm