Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

Need some help with items for a rifleman kit

mikenewfie
    mikenewfie

Need some help with items for a rifleman kit Empty Need some help with items for a rifleman kit

Post by mikenewfie Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:23 am

Good day I'm working on putting together a canadian riflemen kit, I'm trying to find out what items would be carried in the field during the Normandy campaign and into Holland so far I have the following items:

Webbing
    Rifle with sling and action cover
    Housewife
    Holdall with a few contents
    Safety razor with khaki case
    British light gas mask haversack
    Clasp knife
    Mess tins
    Fork&spoon
    MKII helmet with net

I'm still missing a few piece. I'm not sure what small items they would have carried in the field any one able to help me?
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Need some help with items for a rifleman kit Empty Re: Need some help with items for a rifleman kit

Post by pylon1357 Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:41 am

I saw something in one of my reference books about the typical load out. I jyst cannot recall where I saw it. I am currently swamped with work, so I cant look into it.

I think the book may have been Bocheriys?

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    Chuck Biscuits

Need some help with items for a rifleman kit Empty Re: Need some help with items for a rifleman kit

Post by Chuck Biscuits Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Mike,you should see if you can locate the reference book Cliff is talking about..Worth every penny if youre getting into the field equipment..Called "The Canadian Soldier,From D-day to V.E Day"...my copy is buried somewhere right now but looking at your list off the top of my head id add the Wool blanket,rubber ground sheet,enamel cup and entrenching tool and a selection of various small ration tins or the 24Hr ration would also be realistic..If theres any webbing you are missing let me know as I may have extras.

Chuck
    mikenewfie
    mikenewfie

Post by mikenewfie Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:50 pm

I am looking for a copy of the canadian soldier from d day to V.E day and also the reference book cliff had mentioned as well now chuck I am missing a couple pieces of webbing
    Chuck Biscuits

Post by Chuck Biscuits Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:13 pm

The book Cliff had mentioned is The Canadian Soldier..He referred to the authors last name which i think is spelled Bouchery but dont quote me on that..Since its close by I took a pic of what your large or small pack should look like completed,front and back views.Need some help with items for a rifleman kit Img_2030
    Need some help with items for a rifleman kit Img_2031
    mikenewfie
    mikenewfie

Post by mikenewfie Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:17 pm

Thank you for the pictures Chuck I'm putting together a small pack did they carrier their large packs on d-day? I really need to find these books first I need to get a good small pack
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:36 am

mikenewfie wrote:Thank you for the pictures Chuck I'm putting together a small pack did they carrier their large packs on d-day? I really need to find these books first I need to get a good small pack

I did a quick google search and these photos came up. Look for small packs and large packs..... After looking at many photos it seems that some wore them and some units wore small packs, others wore neither. I think it would depend on the unit you are trying to reconstruct....

All the best,

Ypres

http://www.mapleleafup.ca/dday5-2ndwave.html
    ptesgaudet

Post by ptesgaudet Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:43 pm

The book is Le canadien de la libération. Jean Bouchery.

If you send, send me a PM, and I can send you a list I had when I was doing some reenactement as Régiment de la Chandière.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm