Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Does anybody know about parachute stuff?

cmpman
    cmpman

Does anybody know about parachute stuff? Empty Does anybody know about parachute stuff?

Post by cmpman Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:46 pm

I was at my favorite surplus store today and got to dig through an old shed. A lot of the stuff from the Shilo/Rivers airborne schools ended up there. However, poor storage conditions have made a lot of it non-usable. Plenty of
    helmets, but on most of them the liners are either rotten or gone. Anyway, he had a bunch of the item I am illustrating. They have the post war inspection stamp on them, so after 1948. They are something to do with the parachutists. Photo below. Does anybody know what exactly they are?
    Does anybody know about parachute stuff? Dscf0010
    Does anybody know about parachute stuff? Dscf0011

I also bought a bunch of elastic straps from the same source a while ago, only to find they are not chin straps. I'll flash a photo of them a bit later to see if anyone can identify them.
    Tankermike
    Tankermike

Does anybody know about parachute stuff? Empty Re: Does anybody know about parachute stuff?

Post by Tankermike Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:28 am

Looks like a cargo bag of some type.

Mike
    cmpman
    cmpman

Does anybody know about parachute stuff? Empty Re: Does anybody know about parachute stuff?

Post by cmpman Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:46 am

I was out in the shed last night, and folded it over so the loops would meet the grommets. It may well be a valise for the rifle. Which rifle I don't know, so I will have to try out a FNC! as well as a no4 rifle and see which fits.

There were NSNs on the boxes...kind of wish I had grabbed one now.

I'll show photos as I try both rifles out. The openings on the valise actually look like they lend themselves to the old GPMG, but that would be one heavy gun to jump with. I'll try one of those in it as well.
    cmpman
    cmpman

Post by cmpman Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:02 pm

So I dragged it in and tried out a couple of the possible weapons. They are: FNC1, no4mk1*, a M1919 GPMG, and a Bren mk1. While all of them will fit, none of them give credence to why some of the holes are where they are, or what the long flap with snaps on the side are for.

I tried it on a 50 (barrel off), but there is no way that's going to fit.

Photos attached. I will post the same on a few other forums and see what pops up.

Does anybody know about parachute stuff? Dscf0012
    Does anybody know about parachute stuff? Dscf0014
    Does anybody know about parachute stuff? Dscf0013
    Tankermike
    Tankermike

Post by Tankermike Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:13 am

Wow, nice collection of weapons, what about a Thompson or a PIAT?
    cmpman
    cmpman

Post by cmpman Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:36 am

I'll give those a try, but they were not much of a post war weapon in Canada.
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:04 pm

that's interesting, can I share your image, another airborne equipment forum I'm on might know, looks like you could be correct already?

cmpman
    cmpman

Post by cmpman Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:36 pm

Share away. I went back to the source and picked up a couple more, including one in a much browner material. Many of them had tape on them with rank, name and units on them. I also grabbed the label off the end of one of the boxes. It reads:
    Catalogue section 4A, Catalogue number 307823, contents: VALISE A/B COMB. BODY ONLY. Dates were in the late 50s. Next time I am out there I'll have to see if there are earlier dates, otherwise, with t he dates of late 50s, it means FN family of rifles I suspect.

The valises were made by Irving Air Chute Company , Fort Erie, Ontario

I also dug a little deeper through some barrack boxes. A stack of 4 boxes proved quite nice. First box was full or regular mk2 helmets. The second box had some jump helmets, and a number of various dispatch riders helmets, ranging from early Spalding to the all steel version. The third box had more of the same, including one WW2 para helmet. The fourth barrack box was disappointing....stowed on ground level, everything inside (including a number of para helmets) were badly rusted.

Does anybody know about parachute stuff? Dscf0015
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:13 am

wow sounds like you are seeing some great stuff, are the mk2's complete or just shells?
    cmpman
    cmpman

Post by cmpman Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:27 am

Complete, but the storage conditions are not ideal in that particular building. The second floor has partially collapsed, and the roof has wide open areas, which basically turn the building into a moisture trap.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm