Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

Cdn Pnr Coy and Spec Emp Coy's in Italy

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Cdn Pnr Coy and Spec Emp Coy's in Italy Empty Cdn Pnr Coy and Spec Emp Coy's in Italy

Post by Infanteer Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:26 am

Looking for any info on the Cdn Pnr Coy presumably in Italy in 1944. Also, 16, 17, and 18 Spec Emp Coy's. My Grandmother's brother was SOS from the PPCLI to these units during the war but other than a Pioneer Coy I'm not familiar with what duties were performed by these Special Employment Coy's. Anyone?
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Cdn Pnr Coy and Spec Emp Coy's in Italy Empty Re: Cdn Pnr Coy and Spec Emp Coy's in Italy

Post by mk1rceme Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:03 am

Not entirely sure of their duties in general. I have heard they were made up of specialized members who were not fit for combat duty. Probably used for any general labour duties that came up during the advance through Sicily and Italy. I will have to look through some books to see what I can come up with.

You say he was with the PPCLI prior to serving in the Pioneers...was he injured at some point?

Good luck with your research.

Infanteer

Cdn Pnr Coy and Spec Emp Coy's in Italy Empty Re: Cdn Pnr Coy and Spec Emp Coy's in Italy

Post by Infanteer Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:01 pm

Yes, it appears that he was hospitalized prior to being SOS from the PPCLI. No mention in the records anywhere that I have found so far as to why he was in the hospital so I can only surmise that it was an injury of sufficient severity to cause him to leave the infantry.

Apparently the Pioneer Coy's and Special Employment Coy's were used as general labor units and were often manned by those unfit or unsuitable for combat units. At least such was supposedly the case in the British army. Not sure if the same was true for Canadian units but most probably.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:57 am