Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Counter Mortar Staff 4th Canadian Armoured Division

jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Counter Mortar Staff 4th Canadian Armoured Division Empty Counter Mortar Staff 4th Canadian Armoured Division

Post by jholl72 Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi guys,
    I have come across a connection to a Counter Mortar group attached to the 4th Canadian Armoured Division. I have a book written by one of the officers and some militaria to one of the gunners. I had not heard of the Counter Mortar group until I got this book today.
    Anyone heard of them, know anything about it, have any militaria related to it. I will post some pics of the book and the other stuff related to it in the next few days...things will be crazy for me, due to Christmas...as it will for everyone else..but will post as soon as I can.

Bill

Counter Mortar Staff 4th Canadian Armoured Division Empty Re: Counter Mortar Staff 4th Canadian Armoured Division

Post by Bill Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:27 am

There was an article about counter mortar doctrine and technology in the Canadian Military History Journal. Vol 3 No 2 1994.
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Counter Mortar Staff 4th Canadian Armoured Division Empty Re: Counter Mortar Staff 4th Canadian Armoured Division

Post by jholl72 Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:53 am

Thanks Bill, I will look into finding that article. Had a read throught the book last night. It was written by Lt. Nelms of the Counter Mortars. He details the raising of the unit and their actions through the war,tactics and results, with some anecdotal stories also. It was an interesting book, it looks like an official book but I think he wrote and published it himself. More details to follow when I can get some pics up....I am away for Christmas and am on dial up...I am not even going to attempt to upload pics from here.LOL!!

jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:48 pm

The story behind my inquiry.....I had done a mannequin setup at a local church for Remembrance Day...my second year doing it.
    An elderly lady saw it and brought in her husbands military "stuff", glad that it would be appreciated and well looked after.
    I wrote her a thank you note and asked for some more information about her husbands service as all I had was a a name and service number.
    She forwarded my note to an Officer's wife who was in the CM. She then forwarded the book and the map.
    Pics of the military items that started the ball rolling.... I should mentiont that the Dix stuff is the man involved, the other stuff belonged to a friend of Dix.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:24 pm

Aah yes! I remember seeing this grouping before. Very nice items there!

jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:29 pm

Hey Dale,
    Yeah it turns out Dix was in the counter mortar unit. If you look the pics attached at the appendices pages you will see Dix listed as well as Nelms...whose wife sent the book and map.
    I can post pics of the book in it's entirety if anyone is interested in having a read.
    The map is obviously a souvenir item, but neat nonetheless to follow the route of the 4th Armoured Div.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Enfield

Post by Enfield Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:43 pm

ver nice jeff

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am