Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

WWI Insignia

jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

WWI Insignia Empty WWI Insignia

Post by jholl72 Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:00 pm

Here are some shots of the WWI insignia I picked up. The man's name was Pte. William Musclow of the 1st Battalion. Don't know where the 118th stuff came from but was included with his stuff.
    I have his attestation papers and will be ordering his service file shortly so will be able to fill in the blanks on his service in a few weeks.
    Any information you would like to share on these would be appreciated as I am just a novice at WWI insignia.
    WWI Insignia Gx1IbJ6S
    WWI Insignia Gx1IbO69
    WWI Insignia Gx1IbQBi
    WWI Insignia Gx1IbQBi
    WWI Insignia Gx1IbY4J
    WWI Insignia Gx1Ib_zS
    WWI Insignia Gx1Ic4z9
    WWI Insignia Gx1Ic9yr
    WWI Insignia Gx1Icc2A
    WWI Insignia Gx1Ich1S
    WWI Insignia Gx1Icjx0
    WWI Insignia Gx1Icm19
    WWI Insignia Gx1Icowi
    WWI Insignia Gx1Icr0r
    WWI Insignia Gx1IctvA
    [img=http://www.postimage.org/gx1Icv_J.jpg]
    WWI Insignia Gx1IcyuS
    WWI Insignia Gx1IcDu9

mk1rceme
    Administrator

WWI Insignia Empty Re: WWI Insignia

Post by mk1rceme Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:13 pm

I just saw your these and your other finds on WTG. Some great finds for sure! The militaria gods are smiling on you lately.

jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:14 pm

You are right there Dale.Three buys in the last month and another on in the works....I hope my cash holds out.LOL!

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:20 pm

jholl72 wrote:You are right there Dale.Three buys in the last month and another on in the works....I hope my cash holds out.LOL!

No doubt. I'm in the same situation on a potential HUGE badge collection purchase...hope I can land it.

Oh, and by the way...I'll get some pics of the Enfield wood for you tomorrow.

jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:26 pm

mk1rceme wrote:
    jholl72 wrote:You are right there Dale.Three buys in the last month and another on in the works....I hope my cash holds out.LOL!

No doubt. I'm in the same situation on a potential HUGE badge collection purchase...hope I can land it.

Oh, and by the way...I'll get some pics of the Enfield wood for you tomorrow.

Keep me in mind if there is anything in there you are going to let go. Looking forward to the pics, whenever you get time.

Darrell

Post by Darrell Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:03 am

Hi Jeff

Nice selection of items there. Well done, you. :)

May I ask what the numbers are on the back of the Class A and B War Service Badges? Also may I ask the details on the rim of the British War Medal?

To Dale you wrote:Keep me in mind if there is anything in there you are going to let go. Looking forward to the pics, whenever you get time.

Ditto for me on those items I mentioned. :idea:

regards
    Darrell
    Bill
    Bill

WWI Insignia Empty Re Finds.

Post by Bill Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:13 am

Nice acquisition. Just a thought on the 118th material, perhaps it was the battalion he enlisted in? Then, after being sent to the UK, the 118th was broken up for reinforcements. The 118th was put into the 23rd Reserve Bn, which reinforced English language Quebec battalions. However he may have been sent to another battalion. Just a thought.
    The CAC badges are nice. They would suggest that he had some SWW service? hmmm
    And, I always have some good traders for badges that may be for trade. Especially interested in Canadian army cloth patches and titles...
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:18 pm

Darrell wrote:Hi Jeff

Nice selection of items there. Well done, you. :)

May I ask what the numbers are on the back of the Class A and B War Service Badges? Also may I ask the details on the rim of the British War Medal?

To Dale you wrote:Keep me in mind if there is anything in there you are going to let go. Looking forward to the pics, whenever you get time.

Ditto for me on those items I mentioned. :idea:

regards
    Darrell

Hi Darrell,
    The BWM details are 751232 PTE. W. Musclow 1 Can Inf. All the details are clear except for the last name which has been somwhat obscured...whether by poor storage or design I don't know. The surname is the same as the man I bought them from.
    War service badge numbers-Class A-49199
    -Class B-c33557

Hi Bill,
    I had the same thoughts on the 118th stuff. The one has been converted into a sweetheart pin.
    His attestation papers have him from Berlin Ontario, which of course is now Kitchener...where I am from.
    Also on the top of the attestation paper is written "Drummer". Should be an interesting file when I get it.

jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Pte. Musclow's service file finally arrived. He did enlist in the 118th and was taken on strength to the 1st Battalion. I have attached a pic of his medical case sheet which shows where and when he was wounded. I did look at the war diary for those dates and the 1st was to be relieved from the front lines on the 7th Nov 1917. Before they had left the front, they were shelled heavily by the Germans. This must have been when Pte. Musclow was wounded.

WWI Insignia 2010_015

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:29 pm