WW2 RAC TANK HELMET

Michael Reintjes

WW2 RAC TANK HELMET

Post by Michael Reintjes on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:37 am

Here is one I got about 10 year ago.It was found in a barn in Northeast Holland.It has B69932 HOLLOWELL penciled inside the rim.Research showed that this helmet belonged to B69932 Trooper John Morley Hollowell of the Governor General Horse Guards and it was confirmed that this unit had indeed gone through this town in 1945 while pursuing German troops up to Delzijl.
    It is marked BMB 1943 on the liner.The Original chinstrap was cleverly replaced usinga 1940 dated German helmet chinstrap...nice touch.Original paint has some heavy use as this soldier probably had this helmet all through the Italian Campaign only to lose it in a Dutch Barn. Anyway,here are some pics..

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Re: WW2 RAC TANK HELMET

Post by mk1rceme on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:18 am

That is one cool helmet Michael! I like the German chinstrap and the honest wear the helmet shows.

I assume you had relatives that lived through the war in Holland? My Father and his family were located in Braamt.

Michael Reintjes

Post by Michael Reintjes on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:30 am

Thanks Dale...Yes my Dad and his family were in Ooestgeest(Leiden) for the Duration.They were not liberated until the end.They had elements of the 2LAA Regt RCA of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division billeted in their town. Where is the town of Braamt?

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:56 pm

Michael Reintjes wrote:Thanks Dale...Yes my Dad and his family were in Ooestgeest(Leiden) for the Duration.They were not liberated until the end.They had elements of the 2LAA Regt RCA of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division billeted in their town. Where is the town of Braamt?

It is located in the province of Gelderland, close to the German Border. In the area of the Achterhoek southeast of Arnhem.

Michael Reintjes

Post by Michael Reintjes on Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:24 pm

I know the Achterhoek well...My Uncle lived there in Ulft until fairly recently and the Reintjes family is originally from Elton just on the German side of the border,beautiful region of Holland....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:35 am

Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:35 am