Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

Regimental / Corps Shoulder title colours

Bill
    Bill

Regimental / Corps Shoulder title colours Empty Regimental / Corps Shoulder title colours

Post by Bill Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:30 am

In my research on cloth shoulder titles, I have been trying to find out the significance of the colours used for each unit. For example, units with the Royal designation frequently use the royal colours, scarlet on dark blue. Examples include the Royal Highland Regiment, Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps, etc. Other units looked to their history and drew on that for the regimental title, for example the Edmonton Regiment used the colours from the battle patches for the 49th Bn. The GGFG and CGG had white on scarlet to show their association with British Guards regiments.
    And, the Canadian Scottish 1 Bn, had the oak leaf design as a battle honour for Kitchener's Woods in the First World War. (Not a colour, but an explanation of the design.)
    Any other information out there? Confirmation for my notes and new information welcome. The focus is the battledress period of issue, 1940ish through unification.
    Wouter
    Wouter

Regimental / Corps Shoulder title colours Empty Re: Regimental / Corps Shoulder title colours

Post by Wouter Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi Bill, 1 C Scot R earned the oak leaf distinction in 1915 as the 16th Battalion and the 10th Battalion CEF received the same honour. As you probably know, 16th CEF was perpetuated by the Can Scots and 10th CEF by the Winnipeg Light Infantry and the Calgary Highlanders. There is a picture of one of these acorn badges with the lettering 'CANADIAN' over 'SCOTTISH' and with a red felt background in the topic I made about C Scot R insignia. If you want a close up, let me know.

As to other units, I guess they mostly drew on their CEF heritage, if there was any.

Wouter
    Bill
    Bill

Regimental / Corps Shoulder title colours Empty Re: Regimental / Corps Shoulder title colours

Post by Bill Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi Wouter, Thanks. I have the info on the Can Scots, and about 30 other units, but the story for many is very vague. Eg The South Sask has been id'd as a prairie crocus colours, but that flower is the provincial flower of Manitoba. Another example is the Algonquin Regt: gold on medium blue, but why?
    Some regiments drew on their CEF heritage, but not many used that connection.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 am