A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan

servicepub

Re: A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan

Post by servicepub on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:24 am

Bill wrote:Heads up. There are several lots of Afghanistan deployment patches on ebay. Here is one http://www.ebay.com/itm/271119552782?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649.
    Having compared the ones being offered with the same I have in my collection (I have 6 or 7 that duplicate those on offer), the ones being auctioned vary significantly in detail. It is interesting to COMPARE in detail the badges posted above in this thread with the same badge being offered. The patch colours, embroidery style, lettering size, and base materials on some differ enough to indicate a completely different embroiderer. Cliff mentioned something about the velcro on the back.The problem of reproduction in the case of Afghan deployment patches has already been discussed, and is an ongoing problem. These can not be conclusively dismissed as reproduction, but they are different from ones verified as issued.
    I suspect these patches will sell for very significant prices given the results for similar Afghan material. IF you collect these patches, please take note.

In the case of the patch that I showed in wear by Gen Vance (above), my son had these made by a Canadian supplier (manufactured in Pakistan) and these were never theatre-made. I suspect that late rotos (as well as upcoming rotos) may have more of these than in the past. In other words, legitimate patches can be made elsewhere than on the boardwalk.
    Clive

Bill

Post by Bill on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:39 am

Hello Clive, Not sure where the reference to the boardwalk is from? The patches on auction could have been made on the Boardwalk or in Canada or in Pakistan or the Phillipines. That is the crux of the problem. The patches on auction do not match the ones in my accumulation or Cliff's, which were from various sources, but are authenticated. There are many sources for patches worn in Kandahar but the ones on auction do not match the style of manufacture of known verified examples.

servicepub

Post by servicepub on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:20 pm

Bill wrote:Hello Clive, Not sure where the reference to the boardwalk is from? The patches on auction could have been made on the Boardwalk or in Canada or in Pakistan or the Phillipines. That is the crux of the problem. The patches on auction do not match the ones in my accumulation or Cliff's, which were from various sources, but are authenticated. There are many sources for patches worn in Kandahar but the ones on auction do not match the style of manufacture of known verified examples.

Bill,

Wrong 'quote' box (I don't like the layout of the page and have hit the wrong button before. Grrrr). It is Cliff's comment that I wanted to address;
    The thing that sounded alarms for me was the fact all the current offerings have a 'lock stitch' or 'rolled edge' as seen on the reverse of the badges. NONE of the badges that I have seen from the Boardwalk Embroidery shop (theater produced) have this finished edge. Any badges produced there have a raw edge and were cut by hand.
    My point was that not all Theatre patches were made in-theatre.

Cheers,
    C

Bill

Post by Bill on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:29 pm

Another observation about the lot of Afghan patches that are on offer. The dates of the various patches range from 2008 through 2012. But have exactly the same stitching patterns and velcro backing.

Tankermike

Post by Tankermike on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISAF-OMLT-DATES-velcro-uniform-patch-military-insignia-USA-army-Afghanistan-/251206347695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7d10abaf

Same style of patch but from Croatia, same rear stitching.

Mike

servicepub

Post by servicepub on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:53 am

Two bring-backs from my son.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tankermike

Post by Tankermike on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:00 am

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271132089767?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D271132089767%26_rdc%3D1

The prices of these afgan patches are really going through the roof.
    Mike

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Modern-Canadian-Army-IR-Canada-Flag-Patch-/271132089896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f20bb5e28

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Modern-Canadian-Army-IR-Canada-Flag-Patch-/271114279693?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1fab9b0d

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Modern-Canadian-Army-ISAF-Patch-/271114279618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1fab9ac2
    The ISAF patch had no velcro, and the letters are all off

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:14 pm

About now, I am thinking "Damn". I gave so many of these frigging things away.... what was I thinking. LOL

The last patch is a typical ISAF patch from the Boardwalk, very common. Are you sure about no velcro on the back? I se what appears to be the hand cut backing in a few places, which again is normal with these.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Clive, I love these patches you showed. I am hoping my buddy, who is currently in Kabul, remembers to bring me home a few examples.

Tankermike

Post by Tankermike on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:41 pm

I asked the seller, he said no velcro.

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Since I've been going through my collection and thinning out lately I thought I would snap a photo of some of the variations of IR badges I've accumulated. Note that some are neatly stitched while others were done with a bit more haste. I tried to seek out the best stitched examples I could find but in hindsight that may have been a mistake as they are the exception rather then the rule. Also, most insignia I encountered was sewn with tan thread but black and green were also utilized. The two badges in the bottom left came from a friend who purchased a grouping of items from an ex-JTF2 soldier. They can be worn with either one or both of the reflective tabs in the up (covered) position. They appear to have been made at the unit level (in theatre?). The two 1 inch square IR badges on the bottom right in the photo were done by myself in theatre at the request of someone who worked OTW. They are standard issue IR reflective squares with velcro added to facilitate wearing on various pieces of uniform/kit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Infanteer on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bill

Post by Bill on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:18 am

Steve, Is there any significance to the different colours on the Canadian flag IR's?

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:30 am

Interesting set there Steve. I noted you do not show the variant of the large Canadian Flag without the stitching. I got one from a guy who had just landed in theater when he changed it out for the stitched one.

What are the items with the black and white squares in the left lower part of the photo? are you parting with those? If so let me know. I have never seen those, of if I have, I never paid attention.

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Bill, I actually don't know who was issued the tan/black Canadian flag. I'm not sure if it came with the stuff from the JTF2 guy or not but suspect it's simply a variation that wasn't commonly issued. It is very shiny and appears to have come from a different manufacturer then the green/black flags.

Cliff, it's my understanding that the large flags originally came as stickers and were assembled in theater. The stitching was added to help prolong the life of the badge and keep the flag portion from separating from the velcro. Perhaps the one you received missed the sewing process, or it was manufactured differently and didn't need to be sewn. I don't know but I haven't seen any like that. How does your non stitched example compare to the standard stitched flags? There was a ton of insignia used over there and I would never have known about the IFF badges used by the special forces guys if my buddy hadn't bought that group off the JTF2 vet.

Bill

Post by Bill on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks Steve. Your comment emphasizes a point that has been made before, but needs to be made again. There was a ton of insignia used in Afghanistan and it needs to be documented as much as possible.

edstorey

Afghan Insignia

Post by edstorey on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:31 pm

Here is a pair of the early IR Canada flag adhesive stickers.

As well as one of the early large Canada flags with velcro backing.

I agree that there is a need to document the Canadian insignia from the Afghan conflict, unfortunately so much of the insignia was never recorded that any scholarly study of the topic will be very difficult to achieve.

Bill

Post by Bill on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:51 pm

And there is no "paper trail". Much of it was unauthorized, politically incorrect, and tribal. It will be a very difficult deployment to document.

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Somehow I missed sharing these.... both from Roto 8 which was roto 0 for the helicopter force...

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:42 pm

Can't believe it... I actually found a photo of one of the "special" IFF badges in use while searching through photos I brought back from Afghanistan. Doesn't appear to be a SOF guy and this one is made in tan but it's the same style. Anyone recognize the Wolf Pack patch?

Last edited by Infanteer on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Here's a couple more I came across. Any idea what the black/white checkered patch is? The other partially obscured patch is for Recce Squadron, 2 Troop but what regiment?

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:13 am

Unofficial door gunner wings issued in Canada just prior to deploying on roto 11 in 2011. These wings came from a gunner who had actually shot an insurgent with a .50 cal GAU 21 from a Griffon.

edstorey

Door Gunner

Post by edstorey on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:21 am

That is neat patch.

Fortes97

IR Patch

Post by Fortes97 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:08 am

Hello, I found a photo of the special 1 Inch square IR Patch. I just thought I would share the picture.

Bill

Post by Bill on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:03 am

Hi Fortes97, Do you know the provenance of the patch? Who wore it? When?

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:48 pm

Now that I can see the writing more clearly in this photo it would appear that there is an Engineer call sign on the bottom of that Wolf Pack patch. Also, the Canadian flag is the variant without the extra stitching added.

Last edited by Infanteer on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : specified which patch I was referring to)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:37 pm

Current date/time is Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:37 pm