Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

    Arden Douglas Wheadon


    Posts : 2217
    Join date : 2009-11-22
    Age : 50
    Location : Alberta, Canada

    Arden Douglas Wheadon Empty Arden Douglas Wheadon

    Post by mk1rceme Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:37 pm

    Arden Douglas Wheadon Arden%20Douglas%20Wheadon%20A Arden Douglas Wheadon Arden%20Dougals%20Wheadon%20B Arden Douglas Wheadon Arden%20Douglas%20Wheadon%20C

    My name is Arden Douglas Wheadon and I was born on Armistice Day 1925 in Truro, Nova Scotia. My father Clifford was a Clerk at the old liquor store on the Esplanade and he was also a Porter at the old Scotia Hotel located next to the old liquor store. My mother, Frances Viola, was a busy homemaker with five children, three girls and two boys of which I was the eldest. I completed my grade ten education in Truro and was working as a clerk at Moxon’s Drug Store on Inglis Street when I decided to join the military.

    I went to Halifax in February 1944 where I was sworn in. I was sent to New Market, Ontario for Basic Training and then sent to Camp Borden, Ontario for further training as a Gunner Operator.

    In December 1944 I was sent to Debert, and then on to Windsor, Nova Scotia. In early December 1944 I left Halifax onboard a troop ship and arrived in England at Blackdown on 26 December 1944. I was being trained on a Crew Commander Course in England when VE Day was declared.

    I then signed up for the Pacific Theatre and was sent to Holland to join the 8th N.B. Hussars as reinforcement. In May 1945 I was on my way home via a small liner DUTCHESS OF BEDFORD. The military granted me 30 days leave when V.J. Day was declared on 15 August 1945. Not having enough points for discharge, I was sent to York Redoubt, where my Dad had been stationed during World War I, and I remained there until I was discharged in August 1946. And let me tell you I had a great time while I was there!

    After my discharge from the military I did odd jobs until I got employment with Canadian National Express in May 1948. I worked for them until I retired in 1981. On 14 February 1947 I married Phyllis Crowe and we raised two children, Michael and Arlene. We have four grandchildren and three great grandchildren. In 1948 Phyllis and I moved to Hilden where we still reside. In our younger years we enjoyed camping and fishing. We now enjoy playing cards, although our friends say I’m not that great at it! I am a 44 year Life Member of Colchester N.S. Branch No. 26 Royal Canadian Legion in Truro.



      Current date/time is Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:28 am