Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+4
Greyman
Michael Reintjes
qsamike
mk1rceme
8 posters

Can Anyone Date This Jacket?

mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Can Anyone Date This Jacket? Empty Can Anyone Date This Jacket?

Post by mk1rceme Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:37 am

NSN numbers were used back in the sixties I believe, so would that be an approximate date on this jacket? I have never seen one with the corduroy collar before.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310188450281&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

qsamike

Can Anyone Date This Jacket? Empty Re: Can Anyone Date This Jacket?

Post by qsamike Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:37 pm

Hello Dale.....

I have seen this type of collar before..... If I remember rightly it is the same type we had in Cornwallis in the mid 60's..... When you look at the picture on the right hand side you can see the lable, there should be a date at the bottom, maybe you can ask the seller......

Mike
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:09 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have messaged him twice already and he doesn't reply...I'll keep trying though.

Michael Reintjes

Post by Michael Reintjes Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:30 pm

probably late 60's or 70's..I still have mine from the late 80's and it has the cord collar but in dark green.I think I had one of those lighter shade collars inthe 70's when I was a cadet and it was definately from the 60's.
    Greyman
    Greyman

Post by Greyman Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:30 pm

NSN (NATO Stock Number) are still in use these days in the modern CF -- not sure when they exactly came into play, but I think it was sometime around the amalgamation of all service arms in 1968. When I joined the Forces in 2001 I was initially issued one of those jackets as my "wet weather coat", meaning that it was essentially my winter jacket. I never actually wore it since my regiment got issued CADPAT a few short months later, but the coat I had (and all the OD combats too for that matter!) dated from the early 1980's from what I remember from the stock tags located on them. That being said, those old OD uniforms were in service for decades, so it could very well be that the initial delivery was sometime in the late 60's or early 70's.

Last edited by Greyman on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:29 pm

NATO Stock Numbers ame into effect in the late 1950's so that if a person walked into any NATO countries stores and had a correct number they would obtain the exact item they were looking for......

8415-21-866-1510

What is a NATO Stock Number (NSN) ?

When it is established that an Item of Supply is unique, its identity is fixed through the assignment of its own NATO Stock Number (NSN). NSNs are issued by National Codification Bureaus (NCBs).

The NSN is a 13 digit number and is divided into 3 parts:

The first 4 digits are the NATO Supply Classification Code and relate the item to the group and class of similar items, as the following examples show:

1005=Guns, through 30 mm 2010=Ship and Boat Propulsion Components 3110=Bearings, Antifriction, Unmounted 4010=Chain and Wire Rope 5110=Hand Tools, Edged, Nonpowered 5305=Screws 5310=Nuts and Washers 5905=Resistors 5910=Capacitors 5960=Electron Tubes and Associated Hardware 6010=Fiber Optic Conductors 6140=Batteries, Rechargeable 6240=Electric Lamps 7030=ADP Software 8305=Textile Fabrics 9140=Fuel Oils 9999=Miscellaneous Items etc. etc. etc. etc.

The next 2 digits indicate the NCB assigning the NSN.

00=United States 01=United States 02-09=United States 12=Germany 13=Belgium 14=France 15=Italy 16=Czech Republic 17=Netherlands 18=South Africa 19=Brazil 20=Canada 21=Canada 22=Denmark 23=Greece 24=Iceland 25=Norway 26=Portugal 27=Turkey 28=Luxembourg 29=Argentina 30=Japan 31=Israel 32=Singapore 33=Spain 34=Malaysia 35=Thailand 36=Egypt 37=Korea, Republic of 38=Estonia 39=Romania 40=Slovakia 41=Austria 42=Slovenia 43=Poland 44=United Nations 45=Indonesia 46=Philippines 47=Lithuania 48=Fiji 49=Tonga 50=Bulgaria 51=Hungary 52=Chile 53=Croatia 54=Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Rep. of 55=Latvia 56=Oman 66=Australia 70=Saudi Arabia 71=United Arab Emirates 98=New Zealand 99=United Kingdom

The final 7 digits of an NSN do not have inherent significance. However, the number is assigned to one and to only one Item of Supply within the codifying country

Mike
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:15 pm

My coat has the corduroy collar as well, it is dated May 1990, description is as follows....COAT, COMBAT, G3, MKII

The label is very very dirty and I can not read the NSN from the photos. If I could figure out where I put my jacket, I could get you the NSN.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    Michael Reintjes
    Michael Reintjes

Post by Michael Reintjes Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:36 pm

dug mine out...dated November 1985 8415-21-866-1511 size 8 tall medium,Nato size 8090-9505 made by Confection Frontenac inc.
    Michael Reintjes
    Michael Reintjes

Post by Michael Reintjes Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:38 pm

Also says Coat,Combat Heavyweight,MK11 OG107
    Michael Reintjes
    Michael Reintjes

Post by Michael Reintjes Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:40 pm

Also dug out 2 shirts they are the strange kind from the 80's with the large breast pockets only with no lowers...can't remember why these were different ...found a winter AV crew jacket as well.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:36 pm

Last edited by 86thBattalion on Sat May 08, 2010 6:34 pm; edited 4 times in total
    Michael Reintjes
    Michael Reintjes

Post by Michael Reintjes Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:49 pm

that looks like the parka...not combat coat...
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:46 am

Thanks for the replies guy's! Really good info.

I still haven't heard back from the seller. I was tempted to buy the coat but if he replies slow usually the shipping is slow. Still have an eye on it though, perhaps he will come through.

I like the pic 86th!

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:19 am

mk1rceme wrote:NSN numbers were used back in the sixties I believe, so would that be an approximate date on this jacket? I have never seen one with the corduroy collar before.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310188450281&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

That's interesting because I've never seen one without a corduroy collar before and these were standard issue up until the gore-tex trial stuff was being issued for our tour to Bosnia in '95. As for the color of the collar, seems to me that they were all a medium green when new but faded very quickly to a light color after only a few washes/short period of use. I for one was very happy to get rid of the old "jean jacket" when the gore-tex jackets were introduced. If you just want one of these jackets for your collection I will see what I have laying around as I had several of them at one time.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:50 am

Infanteer90 wrote:
    mk1rceme wrote:NSN numbers were used back in the sixties I believe, so would that be an approximate date on this jacket? I have never seen one with the corduroy collar before.

That's interesting because I've never seen one without a corduroy collar before and these were standard issue up until the gore-tex trial stuff was being issued for our tour to Bosnia in '95. As for the color of the collar, seems to me that they were all a medium green when new but faded very quickly to a light color after only a few washes/short period of use. I for one was very happy to get rid of the old "jean jacket" when the gore-tex jackets were introduced. If you just want one of these jackets for your collection I will see what I have laying around as I had several of them at one time.

Maybe you have seen them, but I haven't Very Happy I never got the chance to join the military. A drunk driver took care of that for me. I was planning on going through basic in 1989 so they were probably standard issue then I presume.

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:32 pm

Yes, they were standard issue. I do have a nice jacket in size 5 (regular medium) available. It has a small hole on the left sleeve that appears to have been caused by the previous owner removing his rank badge. No liner in this one but I still haven't looked in the garage and I think there might be a couple more jackets out there unless I moved them on already.

Sorry that you were unable to join the military as it is one of those many things in life that you can't truly appreciate until you've experienced it for yourself. And that is especially true for the combat arms.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:05 am

Infanteer90 wrote:Yes, they were standard issue. I do have a nice jacket in size 5 (regular medium) available. It has a small hole on the left sleeve that appears to have been caused by the previous owner removing his rank badge. No liner in this one but I still haven't looked in the garage and I think there might be a couple more jackets out there unless I moved them on already.

Sorry that you were unable to join the military as it is one of those many things in life that you can't truly appreciate until you've experienced it for yourself. And that is especially true for the combat arms.

It's all good. I may even try for the 'after supper soldiers' still...possibly in the new year. It took many years of painful recovery but I am up to the task now as long as I can pass any physical they would throw at me. I don't want to be the generation that broke the family trend of serving in the military, although my Sister did serve in the Navy back in the late seventies/early eighties.

Ian B

Can Anyone Date This Jacket? Empty Bits and Pieces on the old OG Combat uniform

Post by Ian B Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:29 pm

Good day gents, 

I know it’s been a while since the last on this, so if I’m repeating old info…my apologies.

The Olive Green Combat Uniform was on issue from the early ‘60’s until the issue of CADPAT.  it was produced at different times and by different manufacturers to keep stocks up for the Army.  When I joined the Regs in ’78, the scale of issue was two heavy weight jackets with liners and one pair of heavy weight pants (same material as the jackets).  Along with this you received three light weight ‘coats’ (usually referred to as shirts) and two pair of light weight pants.  ‘Round about ’79 or ‘80 we received orders to turn in our heavy weight pants in exchange for one more pair of light weight pants, giving us a total of three pair of pants.

Picture was gone from the first post, but if any of you have jackets without the corduroy collar, in all likelihood, it’s a local mod by the base tailor shop.  Not having a supply of the proper coloured corduroy, they probably used a chunk of material from a condemned jacket to repair the collar before reissuing the jacket.  I know this was the policy in Gagetown.  These economies were in force during the ‘80’s and ‘90’s as our budget shrank.  It was not uncommon to see officers with their rank slip-on on the shirt epaulette, while on the sleeve one could see the outline of an OR’s rank badge of the previous owner.  So if you have a shirt or jacket with a less faded area that looks like a Corporal’s stripes on the sleeve, don’t be afraid to put officers rank on it, ‘cause it happened for real.  

As for the weird shirt with no lower cargo pockets, these were issued the some time as the the ’82  Patt. web gear.  The thinking was that as now we had magazine pouches…AND…that the belt was supposed to go around the hips and not the waist, this would prevent getting anything from the lower pockets of the shirt.  So, the lower cargo pockets were eliminated.  For the same reason, the design of the chest pockets was changed as there was no need to carry a 7.62 mm magazine in each one.  The thought process was that soldiers in the field would not go anywhere without their rifle and web gear.  So, we had to turn in our three old shirts and received three of the new ones.  Well…best laid plans and all.  Sober second thought and someone decided that that was definitely not a good idea.  Couldn’t have been more than a year, when we received the order to return to stores with the cargo pocket-less shirts and be issued three of the old style shirts.

And that’s the way it was until CADPAT came along.  Hopes this helps.

Cheers,

Ian
    edstorey
    edstorey

Can Anyone Date This Jacket? Empty Combat Clothing

Post by edstorey Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:31 am

What you are talking about is the Coat, Combat Lightweight Mk III which was introduced at the same time as the Trousers, Combat, Lightweight Mk III. The Coat Mk III was apparently unpopular and as has been noted, was withdrawn not long after its introduction. The Trousers Mk III continued to be issued.

Without looking, I am pretty sure the last versions of the Coat, Heavyweight were manufactured without the corduroy collar.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 am