Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+15
pylon1357
barriefield-brian
bubberstone
airborne666
Fortes97
ddaydodger
servicepub
qsamike
Wouter
sarge5020
Darrell
Infanteer
Battalion Colours
Michael Reintjes
Bill
19 posters

A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan

sarge5020
    sarge5020

afghanistan - A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan  - Page 6 Empty Re: A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan

Post by sarge5020 Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:17 am

More patches on those returning today. Take a look at this CTV picture gallery.
    http://www.ctv.ca/gallery/html/Canadian_Soldiers_Return_Home_111215/index_.html
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

afghanistan - A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan  - Page 6 Empty Re: A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan

Post by pylon1357 Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:12 am

Hey There Sarge, nice to see these photos. The patch on the sleeve of the soldier is the first photo appears to be the MTTF Health Services Unit patch.

Further along through the photos I saw on the general what looks like an OP ATHENA MTTF patch as well. Somewhere in all the boxes, I have examples of both patches.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:33 am

It's my understanding the following patch was worn in Afghanistan. Could someone please tell me which Canadian unit wore it? Thank you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Honneur et Fidélité"

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:32 am

I'm very curious about this one too. I picked one up at the embroidery shop without having a clue who was using it.
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Could this be an example a new First Special Service Force or wishful thinking on someone's part? I'd prefer the rumour mill cranking up the reformation of the FSSF. stir the pot
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Was there any id on the fellow wearing the patch?
    Pure speculation, JTF2 working with US SF?
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:49 pm

Don't think so, the sunglasses aren't cool enough. Very Happy
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:50 pm

lol!
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:59 pm

Seriously, I doubt they would wear any kind of distinguishing patch, especially a FSSF patch. Way too many questions that no one would want to answer.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:23 pm

That was my understanding Sarge, they don't wear identification in the field. Maybe, Canadian Special Operations Regiment?
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:42 pm

Could be but I doubt that too. Hell, they don't even wear a distinctive cap badge on their home base, let alone in theatre where someone might take their photo.

More than likely a desk jockey who never leaves the wire. Those guys who buy up of the cool golf shirts and hats when they visit some out of country base, like Fort Benning or Fort Bragg. They clean out the kit shops of all the Ranger and SOF swag.

Who else would have the time to get the patches made at the embroidery shop on the boardwalk?
    Wink
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:53 pm

I feel as if I should reply on this patch, but I have nothing to add. I have seen this patch available in the boardwalk shop, but honestly, I have never seen it worn. I am not saying it wasn't, just that I never saw it.

I would like more information on the posted photo however. It appears to me to be taken in the NSE HQ compund?? The buidling in the backgrouns appears to be a 2 level iso structure, also it seems to me the personell are seated.

Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:19 pm

Unfortunately gentlemen I have no information on when and where this photograph was taken. Or the identification of those appearing in it.

"Honneur et Fidélité"

sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:06 pm

Yeah, but look at all the fun we're having trying to figure it out. 2 thumbs up The guy on the Canadian's left looks Australian by his uniform and the guy on his right appears to be European, Neitherlands perhaps?

Cheers.
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Battalion Colors, where did that photo of the patch in wear come from? It would be nice if we could get a copy with higher definition. My first thought was CSOR as they would probably be the only organization that could possibly carry on the legacy of the FSSF aside from JTF2 who certainly wouldn't wear anything indicating their unit nor would they knowingly allow a photo to be taken of their uncovered face.
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:22 am

And besides, his hair isn't long enough to be JTF2. Very Happy
    I have to agree that of anyone, CSOR would be the likely candidates to prepetuate the FSSF.
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:56 am

I knew I read somewhere about CSOR perpetuating the FSSF....

http://www.network54.com/Forum/28173/thread/1211471312/CSOR+perpetuating+1st+SSF
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:16 am

Good work Steve. I even contributed on that thread and I didn't remember the perpetuation. So, from the article, our fellow is likely CSOR wearing the FSSF patch. This raises another question. Is this patch an official or an unofficial insignia? (To reword, is the CSOR being represented by the arrowhead patch?) It would seem unusual that a Canadian formation with only Canadian personnel would wear an official patch with US on it.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:14 pm

My newest patches...These came from an EME weapons tech that was with the transition task force. Says he was issued three sets of these patches...is that usually the norm?

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Dale, certainly not the norm I would say based on the fact that in mid August, stores had none of the MCU patches left in stock. They were sending guys to the boardwalk to purchace replacement patches from the embroidery shop. In urn, they would produce the reciept and get he purchace price refunded to them.

My example of the MCU patch is a threater made example from the boardwalk.

mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:53 pm

I found this pic showing the FSSF patch being worn...not Afghanistan, but nonetheless interesting.

Members of 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne) and the Canadian Special Operations Regiment conducted a combined airborne operation and wing-exchange ceremony at Roger’s drop zone on Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash., Dec. 2. Both events were part of the 26th annual Menton week, an event which commemorates the inactivation of the combined U.S. and Canadian First Special Service Dec 5, 1944. (Photos by Sgt. Elayseah Woodard-Hinton, 20th Public Affairs Detachment)

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:04 pm

That's awesome! Pretty much confirms what we suspected.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:27 pm

Task Force 3-09 - Joint Task Force Afghanistan - Roto 8 - composed of approximately 2800 soldiers.

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:47 am

That is an interesting patch that I had not seen before. Do you have any further information in regards to this one?

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:04 am

Here is the last patch I got from KAF, the day before I flew out for the last and final time. It is a Canadian produced patch. PPCLI of course is Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. MTTF is Mission Transition Task Force. FP Coy is Force Protection Company, name pretty much sums up what they do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 1:02 am