Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+4
recceboy
Battalion Colours
qsamike
jholl72
8 posters

Looking for a TV show host?

jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Looking for a TV show host? Empty Looking for a TV show host?

Post by jholl72 Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:33 pm

Hi guys,
    Dale and I got a PM from this company(posted below). Just wondering if anyone else got it and what your opinions of it are?

Hello,

I am hoping that you can post this message to your forum members:

Cream Productions, a documentary film company in Toronto( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , is looking for a host for a new TV series about collecting military artifacts around the world. We are looking for someone under 40 years old, male, who can identify and talk knowledgeably about weapons, and military technologies from ancient times to the present. This host and an archaeologist would tour the world seeking out and appraising artifacts collected from local ( past) battlefields. Please contact Stephen Milton at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] if you are interested. It would be very helpful if you could film yourself taking about a military artifact, then post it on YouTube so the producers can see what you look like on camera. Videos can be very short - 2-5 minutes long, and can be shot on web cams, iphones, mini dv cameras, etc.. Nothing fancy is needed. Thank you for your interest.

qsamike

Looking for a TV show host? Empty Re: Looking for a TV show host?

Post by qsamike Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:55 pm

In a way I hope they do not go ahead with the project because that will bring more items out of the woodwork which is good but will drive the prices up for things that do come out...... Look what happened to the 3 different Antique Road Shows......

Mike
    Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Jeff:

You and Dale received emails because you are the administrators of this forum.

I think they will be hard pressed to find "someone under 40 years old, male, who can identify and talk knowledgeably about weapons, and military technologies from ancient times to the present."

As Mike stated programs like this are a double edged sword. On one hand they bring items out of the woodwork, and on the other they educate the public and can increase the market value of these items. We will have to wait and see what happens.

Jeff, aren't you under 40?
    recceboy
    recceboy

Post by recceboy Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:44 pm

Bugger

I am 42 and retired.....................:)

Anthony hissy fit
    Rob
    Rob

Post by Rob Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:53 pm

Well I'm 41, but I am a qualified, though non-practising, archaeologist... maybe I could be the other guy? I have 39 years of experience in being under 40 :)

I didn't pursue an archaeological career after getting my degree.. there's no future in it Wink

Rob
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:48 pm

I am under 40, but in no way qualified as knowledgeable in militaria from ancient times to present...holy smokes I can't keep up with WWI and WWII!
    It would be a neat job if they had a team of researchers and writers I could certainly talk knowledgeably about anything.LOL!
    Now Cliff could fill an hour long show no problem..........unfortunately he is over 40. not worthy

Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:58 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Anthony, I think they are looking for someone more TV friendly. Kind a like the local weather girl.

Rob, archaeology is a labor of love and one doesn't do it for the money.
    Rob
    Rob

Post by Rob Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:46 pm

Sure, if you say so

Rob
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:14 pm

You should email Mr. Milton and see if they could bend a bit on the age issue ~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Seems like one heck of an opportunity for someone.

recceboy

Post by recceboy Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:37 pm

Battalion Colours wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Anthony, I think they are looking for someone more TV friendly. Kind a like the local weather girl.

Been in movies, radio, TV, given speachs at U of A. But, Don't look like the weather girlie....................... :lol:

Anthony
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:34 pm

I have invited Mr. Milton to join our forum so he should be available to answer any questions or concerns you may have about this TV project. I see that he has joined today.

I would really like to see one of you guys be the successful candidate for this project. I for one am very humbled that such knowledgeable collectors grace this forum.

Bill

Post by Bill Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:59 pm

Hmmmmmm. This Old Bayonet? or Antique Uniforms Roadshow, or Medals R Us?
    I think a lot more information should be provided for the job description.
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:35 pm

I remember many years ago there was a Military Antiques Road Show here in Calgary..... The Museum of the Regiments as it was known then and The War Museum from Ottawa got together and had the show...... Some very interesting things showed up and I remember one man who looked as if he did not have two nickles to rub together came to my table and I stopped adding up the value of the the medals he had with him when I reached $100,000.00....... he had his whole family's medals back the the Napoleonic Wars.... MGS's, Small Gold Medal, Waterloo, India, Crimea, India Mutiny, he just kept pulling them out of his pockets.... The man from Ottawa came over and we went through them together......

Mike
    smilton
    smilton

Looking for a TV show host? Empty More detail on TV host job

Post by smilton Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:42 am

Hello Everyone,

My name is Stephen Milton, and I posted the request for a host for a new tv series about finding military artifacts. A number of you asked for more detail, and mentioned that the age requirement was unrealistic, and unfair.

I'm happy to report that we can be flexible about the age restriction. If you're energetic and enthusiastic, then up to age 50 is fine. ( Speaking as a 49 year old, I agree that we're not over the hill by a long shot). Our broadcasters are looking for a young audience, so it would be hard to go much older.

The series would feature two experts, the collector and an archaeologist, visiting places around the world where battles have occurred in the near and ancient past. Unlike Antique Road Show, we wouldn't simply set up some tables and have people bring their stuff to be appraised. In most cases, our two hosts would go to homes where local citizens, farmers and non-professionals have collected stuff out of the local ground over the years. We recently finished a shoot in the Somme, where it became clear that the local farmers had all the best stuff locked away. We want to see whatever people have gathered, and we expect a mixed bag: the same farmer may have World War Two stuff, and some Roman coins. We're hoping that between our two experts, they may have some knowledge of most everything that turns up. We expect to be going all over Europe, into US Civil War areas, Canada, and possibly Asia. You would be paid, of course.

If you are interested in some pretty cool field trips like these, the time commitment would probably be a few months a year, with off and on shooting. We would not be able to make a decision based on a CV. We really need to see what a candidate looks like on video. This doesn't have to be fancy - film yourself on a cheap video camera with a military artifact in your hand, telling us what you find interesting about the object. We want to see how you explain things to the uninitiated.You could email me the clip, or post it on YouTibe for us to view. ( My email is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]).

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm