Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

A nice find, but I need help...WWI Hate Belt

Spitfire
    Spitfire

A nice find, but I need help...WWI Hate Belt Empty A nice find, but I need help...WWI Hate Belt

Post by Spitfire Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:38 pm

First off, let me confess that I am not a collector, although I've been an avid amateur historian and military buff for over 50 years. Because I buy and sell on eBay frequently, I was approached by a local widow to dispose of some military memorabilia for her, consisting of 33 brass buttons, shoulder bars, cap badges, etc. Included are the 202 Sportsmens Battalion fron Edmonton, Cape Breton Highlanders, Royal N.W. Mounted Police, and many others that I can't yet identify.

I'd like to post some pictures, but first I have a question. All of these items are in great shape, with lugs intact, but they are all oxidized to one extent or another, making it difficult for my old eyes to make out what they are. Is it OK to clean these items with something like Brasso? I don't want to do anything to harm the value, as the proceeds go to the widow, and not to me. As soon as I get an answer, I'll post some pics.

BTW, Spitfire was chosen as a handle because my Dad was with a Spitfire Squadron of the RAF during WWII. Thanks for your time.
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

A nice find, but I need help...WWI Hate Belt Empty Re: A nice find, but I need help...WWI Hate Belt

Post by Infanteer Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:50 pm

Can you show some photos of the items before you do anything to clean them? Depending on how bad the corrosion is it might be best to leave them as is and let the new owners decide whether or not to clean them.
    Spitfire
    Spitfire

A nice find, but I need help...WWI Hate Belt Empty Re: A nice find, but I need help...WWI Hate Belt

Post by Spitfire Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks for the advice. As you will see in the photos, all of the items are currently attached to a belt of some sort.

A nice find, but I need help...WWI Hate Belt P1000272
    A nice find, but I need help...WWI Hate Belt P1000271
    A nice find, but I need help...WWI Hate Belt P1000273
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:47 pm

Hi, What you have is a souvenir belt, commonly referred to as a "Hate Belt". It should be sold as one piece for the historical integrity, but the bits and pieces on it may add up to more than the complete belt. Secondly, I would not recommend cleaning them.
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:06 pm

Bill wrote:Hi, What you have is a souvenir belt, commonly referred to as a "Hate Belt". It should be sold as one piece for the historical integrity, but the bits and pieces on it may add up to more than the complete belt. Secondly, I would not recommend cleaning them.

I agree fully with Bill......

Do Not Break Up and Do Not Clean......

Mike
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:40 pm

I'll third that sentiment... please don't clean the badges or remove them from the belt. It's collector value is so much more if it has not been messed with in any manner. Nice item.
    Spitfire
    Spitfire

Post by Spitfire Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:26 am

I appreciate the consideration and advice that I have received here. I will keep the belt intact and uncleaned. I am offering the item for sale here first because of the kindness shown me. If it doesn't sell, then I will offer it on eBay. Thank you again.
    PAUL AYERST
    PAUL AYERST

Post by PAUL AYERST Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:56 pm

DID THIS SELL ON EBAY AND FOR HOW MUCH ??

PAUL

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm