Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

1943 Canadian Leather Jerkin

ledfut
    ledfut

1943 Canadian Leather Jerkin Empty 1943 Canadian Leather Jerkin

Post by ledfut Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Look what I stumbled across this afternoon - quite by accident - at a local vintage clothing store here in Winnipeg. I was looking for some old silk scarves to display with some of my RCAF stuff (I did end up finding a very nice white Tootal scarf that is perfect for my flying helmet display). The jerkin is in near mint unissued condition - just a bit wrinkled and folded. Best part - it only cost me $40!

1943 Canadian Leather Jerkin IMG_7619 1943 Canadian Leather Jerkin IMG_7622 1943 Canadian Leather Jerkin IMG_7620

mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

1943 Canadian Leather Jerkin Empty Re: 1943 Canadian Leather Jerkin

Post by mk1rceme Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:25 pm

That's a good find! Heck of a lot cheaper than I paid for mine.

ledfut

Post by ledfut Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Actually, the cost was a bit more than just $40. They guy sells vintage clothing and accessories. While in the store, I noticed he had a bunch of vintage sunglasses for sale. I knew that somewhere at home I had an old pair of Ray Ban Wayfarers from back in the '80s that were worthless to me (I hadn't worn them in over 20 years!) but that I thought he would be interested in. I went home and found the sunglasses, returned to the store, and asked if he would be interested in working out some sort of trade. He took the sunglasses plus $40 cash for the jerkin, and we both walked away happy!

Here are a couple more pictures of the jerkin with some of my other stuff...

1943 Canadian Leather Jerkin Picture2-1 1943 Canadian Leather Jerkin Picture3-1

Last edited by ledfut on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:22 pm

Nice pickup! That jerkin is in great shape and a good price to boot. I paid $3 for mine, but it is beat to hell with stitching coming out and rough leather.LOL! Bet you'll be stopping by there more often now.

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:04 am

jholl72 wrote:Nice pickup! That jerkin is in great shape and a good price to boot. I paid $3 for mine, but it is beat to hell with stitching coming out and rough leather.LOL! Bet you'll be stopping by there more often now.

Hey Jeff! Have you tried a repair on your jerkin yet? I have two Brit jerkins that have the stitching coming loose on the top shoulder seams. Obviously a weak spot with these. I've been trying to figure out how to repair them without removing the lining and resewing the seams, but it looks like that is what has to be done. My Canadian jerkin is strong as hell, just the Brit ones have issues.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 am