Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Information need on WWI medal set

48th
    48th

Information need on WWI medal set Empty Information need on WWI medal set

Post by 48th Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi guys,

Could any one provide me with any information on these medals. Listing states that they might be reissued medals from the 1960's. Listing says that medals are engraved in a different style than ones issued right after the war.

1) Does being reissued hurt the value a lot?

2) Can any one confirm the engraving is different?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330866353842?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Information need on WWI medal set Empty Re: Information need on WWI medal set

Post by pylon1357 Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:27 am

Unfortunately, the single photo of the naming on the 1914-15 Star is not clear enough for me. Looks like it could be a late issue or reissue as it does not appear to be impressed, (stamped). Reissued should be marked in his service records, as will be the date they originals were sent out. Certainly the star at least was not a '20's issue.

As for affecting value, at this point it is impossible to tell. Too many questions outstanding. Are the other two medals in fact renamed?? if so then certainly the value would be greatly reduced.

If you bought these, please post up photos of the naming on all three medals. also close ups of the medals so we can see if they have in fact been skimmed.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:02 am

Hi Cliff,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.
    I did buy these medals, decided I would take a chance on them with a low bid. I will have to wait until i get them to answer the question of how the name looks on the other 2 medals.

Unfortunatly posting a picture will be a problem as I have not yet figured out how to do that on this site.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:19 pm

There is a photo posting tutorial here someplace JEFF HELP. Once you receive the medals and take the photos, if you cannot figure out how to post them, PM me and I will load them for you.

Found the link, https://www.cdnmilitarycollectors.com/t418-guide-posting-pictures

jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Looks like you got it under control Cliff!
    If you need further help with posting pics feel free to PM Cliff or myself and we'll help you out.
    I'm interested to see the naming on these as well.

48th

Post by 48th Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:15 am

Hi Cliff and Jeff,

Thanks for sending me the info on how to post pictures but I have followed it many times with no luck and I refuse to waste any more time playing around with it. I have limited use of a computer and will spend my time more productively doing other things (shopping)lol. Once the new system for posting pictures is up I will let fly with the a lot of pictures. There are a lot of threads on this site that I would like to chime in on.

As for the medals, once I get the medals and see what kind of a mess I have gambled on I will send you a PM and send you both pictures of the names. Please feel free to post them here if you like.

Thanks again for your help and information,
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Here are the photos of the BWM and VM. I have made my comments in a PM. But please feel free to comment further.

Information need on WWI medal set Img_0410
    Information need on WWI medal set Img_0411
    Information need on WWI medal set Img_0412

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Prescott's Attestation papers can be found here in the following link.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=588751&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=49vl7hvosjfe4e6s5h5bhb4056

48th
    48th

Post by 48th Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:44 am

Hi Cliff,

Thank you so much for your information and for posting the pictures for me, much appreciated. As the pictures show the medal has been renamed by grinding off the old name and adding another possibly to replace lost medals by the soldier.

The Attestation papers are also interesting.

Thanks again Clif for helping me out and taking the time to answer a few questions.
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:25 pm

As a follow up question to this topic, do most collectors view plated medals as damaged or not as disireable? I know that the with the limited number of medals that I have I would always rather have original untouched examples even if deaply toned.

I just wanted to know if most medal collectors feel the same way?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:01 pm