Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Need Help Identifying Khaki Drill FS Cap...

Wgrenadier
    Wgrenadier

Need Help Identifying Khaki Drill FS Cap... Empty Need Help Identifying Khaki Drill FS Cap...

Post by Wgrenadier Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:25 pm

Hey guys,

I picked up this khaki drill field service cap a while back and have a few questions about it. It came with a cap badge marked "Lothian and Berwickshire Imperial Yeomanry" as well as buttons marked "RMR" surmounted by a wheat sheaf.

Can anyone tell me when this cap might be from and what the RMR stands for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Need Help Identifying Khaki Drill FS Cap... Dsc03910

Need Help Identifying Khaki Drill FS Cap... Dsc04110

Need Help Identifying Khaki Drill FS Cap... Dsc04111

Need Help Identifying Khaki Drill FS Cap... Dsc04112

Need Help Identifying Khaki Drill FS Cap... Dsc04113
    Bill
    Bill

Need Help Identifying Khaki Drill FS Cap... Empty Re: Need Help Identifying Khaki Drill FS Cap...

Post by Bill Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:12 am

Hi WG, Here is a link to the Lothian and Border Horse wiki entry [url=Lothian and Berwickshire Imperial Yeomanry]Lothian and Berwickshire Imperial Yeomanry[/url]. British Yeomanry units is not an area of my expertise. The entry indicates the title was the one used during the Boer War. The field service cap is consistent with the Boer War era.
    Jonhno

Need Help Identifying Khaki Drill FS Cap... Empty Re: Need Help Identifying Khaki Drill FS Cap...

Post by Jonhno Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:26 am

looks in very nice condition for its age, I notice it has hooks on the flaps and a loop on the main body of the cap, now I realize the use, the one side cap I own has the same feature but the loops have been removed for the hooks
    Wgrenadier
    Wgrenadier

Post by Wgrenadier Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:50 am

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the link, I didn't expect it to be such an early piece! The badge and buttons came with cap, so I assume it's all from the same time period...

The 'RMR' is really puzzling to me though...
    Wgrenadier
    Wgrenadier

Post by Wgrenadier Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:53 am

Hi Jonhno,

Thanks!

It's odd that someone would trouble themselves to remove the loops but leave the hooks! What's the point?
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:27 am

someone took the cap badge off too
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:48 am

Some comments on the British and Commonwealth Military Badge Forum, http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35633.
    Interesting to note that the badge may have been removed / replaced.
    Wgrenadier
    Wgrenadier

Post by Wgrenadier Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for reposting this on the British badge forum (I don't have a profile on that forum)!

Those guys respond very quickly! Too bad if the cap badge is a later addition though...I did buy it more for the cap than the badge though, so no big deal.
    Wgrenadier
    Wgrenadier

Post by Wgrenadier Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:05 am

Hi Bill,

A quick Google search yielded a number of results that referred to the "Royal Midlothian Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry" from the mid nineteenth century, so perhaps they do refer to this?

I'm a bit dubious of the 'Rangoon Mounted Rifles' idea...what are the chances of such an obscure colonial unit? I wish I had the cap with me, so I could check the maker marks on the back of the buttons...

I'm also not sure why the British Badge Forum guys are so sure that the buttons are genuine to the hat, as opposed to the cap badge, since they are both mounted on split rings and easily switched. lol

Once again, I really appreciate your help!
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:07 am

Hi, Like everything, take the information with a grain of salt. Many of the members there have far more expertise on British badges. But, you need to check the artifact to see if the observations are consistent.
    Wgrenadier
    Wgrenadier

Post by Wgrenadier Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:15 am

Hi Bill,

Very true, I'll try to post some more pictures when I have access to my collection in December.

My mindset when it comes to militaria is 'fake until proven otherwise' (At least for my own collection)...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:04 am