Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

A Good Website!!

Kelly's Heros
    Kelly's Heros

A Good Website!! Empty A Good Website!!

Post by Kelly's Heros Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:01 am

One Website I love is Liveauctioneers.com. Most stuff from the states but with the exchange and duties I am laughing because I usually get below the estimated bid before the hammer price. I have a good relationship with one company that deals with WW2 stuff and are very good in their research is Universal Live Auctioneers or Also known as Midwest Estates. My article in the Olds Albertan was mainly from them. I have some British/Canadian stuff and mainly Axis German stuff and the real McCoy stuff. I got a rare ww2 Canadian paratrooper bush jacket. Also a Canadian WW2 air cadet side cap. The person who owned it took his jumping in England and has the British paratrooper jumpers badge but has a red tag torn off with the original Canadian staff sergeant stripes. I have some American stuff as well including the side cap to the Flying Tigers Squadron and a Raptured duck. It is a Kaki colored with the US Marine Air Corps symbol; on the cap. tank 
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

A Good Website!! Empty Re: A Good Website!!

Post by mk1rceme Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:08 am

Never seen this site before. Some good stuff, but a lot of questionable items and starting prices. Not too keen on some of the buyers premiums either. Just get anything your interested in checked by seasoned TR collector first. The German collecting field is ripe with fakes which is why I don't bother with it anymore. All the good stuff I have gotten over the years has come from forums just like this one. There are a lot of good German collecting forums out there too like Wehrmacht Awards and purchasing sites like the Collectors Guild(Canadian owned site). Collectors Guild is pricey, but you will never see a fake item on there. Also, one of our members here has his own purchasing site: Trench Rat Militaria...also all genuine items. All with no buyers premium and piece of mind that your getting the real deal.

Kelly's Heros

Post by Kelly's Heros Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:19 am

Yes, just like anything to be careful the learning process which I am still going through is being burnt at times.  I find it is always great to establish relationships with various people to get some good deals.   Yes, the German stuff lots of it is faked like cigarette boxes engraved or arm bands even metals.  I got a set of armbands which where faked as I did the Ultra violet light and burn test.  Both failed.  Generally as a rule of thumb most German stuff was made out of cotton, and no glue backing on the badges or patches. With the UV test it is one way to see the real VS fake.  The UV light doesn't shine though as much or not at all with the cotton stuff, and the thread used should be able to burn quickly. Up until the 1960's the US had used cotton clothing for uniforms so there are stuff to be faked as well still.  My picture of the Red Cross Helmet is real, it is a Luftschultz helmet painted over possible some soldier fleeing some combat zone. It had blue flecks of paint underneath.  The Helmet liner is gone only a strip of leather but the wool lining around the helmet was still intact. I paid $550 US for the helmet. The HJ Banner was a $290 US deal and my Luftwaffe eagle was a $90 US deal.  All of these where real and verified in Calgary by an appraiser at a military gun show.  The Canadian legion verified the authenticity of the Canadian Air Cadet cap and so did a few coworkers at work who had parents in the war and remembered the clothing style and stitching.  My paratrooper jacket was WW2 issued originally had the King's badges and was taken off and resewed the Queens badges.  Yes, buys premiums can be high, but with the right auction house and real piece up for auction it can be worth more then after the exchange and premiums.  The helmet was appraised in Canada about $950 plus and my trumpet banner about $800-900 Canadian.  I can also get for being a good customer at one auction house the price before the hammer price.  So the Canadian stuff I got on the cheap the real McCoy!!!tank 

Last edited by Kelly's Heros on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:33 am; edited 2 times in total
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:30 am

Oh, yeah, I've gotten the odd fake here and there. It is a learning experience that everyone will go through. Never relied on any tests that I can think of yet. I still say the best way to get the best bang for your buck is to heed the advice of experienced collectors on the various forums out there.

Kelly's Heros

A Good Website!! Empty Gun Shows and Meeting Fellow Collectors

Post by Kelly's Heros Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:33 am

Yes, I have a collector I know in Calgary I send pictures to and what to look for.  I like going to the Military guns shows to meet other collectors and establish new relationship:tank: 
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:41 am

You probably know Kevin then?

Kelly's Heros

Post by Kelly's Heros Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:44 am

Yep I know his dad Marty Shape, I talked to Kevin somewhat but mainly his old man.  Lol I sort of gave them some free advertising as I am a few other websites due to my article in the Olds Albertan.  The stuff behind me the trumpet banner was from Midwest Estates.  Thaks for the previous web sites I am checking them out.  Kevin is on liveacutioneers.com.  In fact the whole picture I have for my avatar is from Kevin and Marty Shape one of their auctions a while a go.  They have an auction December 3rd @ 12:00PM Pacific. tank 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:50 am